Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,231  
The very first area Leaf delivered was ordered pre delivery by one of our Doctors.

Nissan reached out him after he placed the order and asked to set up 100% monitoring because it wanted real world SF Bay Area data which he was happy to provide.

Doc is also early adopter of solar installing both at home and his medical office...

He no longer owns a Leaf but is 100% committed and currently has plug in Prius.

His solar fully charges the family EV's. and provides all his electrical requirements and has replaced gas fired appliances with electric to better utilize excess capacity.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,232  
Going down the ARS Techica black hole. Found an interesting article about SMR small modular reactor. Basically the idea of much smaller waste generated, is not a given and may also generate types of waste that haven't been handled before. With that, there looks to be if thought is put into it, can greatly reduce waste and way to use the new types of waste material.

Smaller reactors may still have a big nuclear waste problem
We still don't have a permanent nuclear waste repository, and US nuclear power is dead in the water until we do. It's time to squash the NIMBY crowd and dig a cavern in a desert.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,233  
This is more detail on the charger Network roll out than I have heard before.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#1,234  
This is more detail on the charger Network roll out than I have heard before.

In a scenario in which half of all vehicles sold are zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) by 2030—in line with federal targets—we estimate that America would require 1.2 million public EV chargers and 28 million private EV chargers by that year.2 All told, the country would need almost 20 times more chargers than it has now.

#1,235  
The very first area Leaf delivered was ordered pre delivery by one of our Doctors.

Nissan reached out him after he placed the order and asked to set up 100% monitoring because it wanted real world SF Bay Area data which he was happy to provide.

Doc is also early adopter of solar installing both at home and his medical office...

His solar fully charges the family EV's. and provides all his electrical requirements and has replaced gas fired appliances with electric to better utilize excess capacity.
Does he have grid tied solar? Also someone that committed that switched from full EV to a hybrid with a gas engine? That is certainly telling. Personally I think its a great idea. We should be looking at these hybrids over full EVs.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,236  

Doc's have two relevant characteristics: High Incomes AND they usually have the option of staying in the same location for work for a long time, or even more typically, all of their career.

Many of us peasants (like me) struggle to hit One of those ^ key characteristics, so Yes, having both of those factors at your fingertips is a huge advantage that many of us don't have. (That said - Have you got the Doc's edumacated on Island Capable Inverters yet ur ? (y) ).

I've owned "Domestic" brands, Japanese, Korean and one European brand of ice vehicle.... so I can fairly claim to judge products on their own merits, IMO.

As Gale commented a while ago, many/most of the peasants (like me, My Words :cool:) are going to have to wait for the cheap Chinese stuff to show up here, EV wise.

Been going on for 40+ years, so I can't claim Surprise at the EV industry getting handed over to PRC too; but it's a corner I really don't like being painted into.....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,237  
Does he have grid tied solar? Also someone that committed that switched from full EV to a hybrid with a gas engine? That is certainly telling. Personally I think its a great idea. We should be looking at these hybrids over full EVs.
Yes... grid tied in both locations and his thoughts on his original Leaf is a great first effort but more work needed on battery side.

I will ask between cases his thoughts on Tesla as very popular here and made just down the road... several of my neighbors work for Tesla but none own EV... they are under 30.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,238  
Doc's have two relevant characteristics: High Incomes AND they usually have the option of staying in the same location for work for a long time, or even more typically, all of their career.

Many of us peasants (like me) struggle to hit One of those ^ key characteristics, so Yes, having both of those factors at your fingertips is a huge advantage that many of us don't have. (That said - Have you got the Doc's edumacated on Island Capable Inverters yet ur ? (y) ).

I've owned "Domestic" brands, Japanese, Korean and one European brand of ice vehicle.... so I can fairly claim to judge products on their own merits, IMO.

As Gale commented a while ago, many/most of the peasants (like me, My Words :cool:) are going to have to wait for the cheap Chinese stuff to show up here, EV wise.

Been going on for 40+ years, so I can't claim Surprise at the EV industry getting handed over to PRC too; but it's a corner I really don't like being painted into.....

Rgds, D.
Dont forget high IQ too.

He really is tops in the field but also now in his 60's.

Born East Coast and moved to SF Bay Area after medical school as so many of that era.

Last edited:
#1,239  
Yes... grid tied in both locations and his thoughts on his original Leaf is a great first effort but more work needed on battery side.

I will ask between cases his thoughts on Tesla as very popular here and made just down the road... several of my neighbors work for Tesla but none own EV... they are under 30.
Then he is not charging his vehicle with his solar. At night his solar isnt working and it is grid power. Unless he has a very, very large battery backup system.

In fact most grid tied setups do not take the energy from the solar and directly pump it into the home (or EV, etc). They pump the energy into the grid, and you are pulling from the grid To charge. So as long as NG, Nuclear, Coal plants are running that grid as supplement to other renewables…you are Not net zero with charging a EV. I know CA likes to call it that…but it isnt. Net Zero is pumping power directly from your renewable sources into the EV or other power consuming system.

CA has an excess of renewable energy during the day, it is sold or farmed out to neighboring states for super cheap….they almost cant give it away.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,240  
Has not paid for a kW of PGE power in 14 years and at true up gets a nice check each year at both locations.

Never charges at night… why would you think that and if he did there are several power walls to draw from.

Typically charges at his own owned medical office during the day with a rooftop array.

If it is one of those very rare days with rain… very rare here, always the battery back up at the ready.

The only reason grid tied is to sell excess.

We don’t make the rules so the best we can do is maximize the rules to our benefit.

A nice benefit with all the Power Safety Shutoffs California experienced is his office and home never lost power…

Neighbor ran an extension cord for the freezer during outages.

Last edited: