Top Brands

/ Top Brands #1  

Dagoof

Tractor
John Deere 2520
What are the next best top brands that I should consider when I replace my tractor?

I have a JD 2520 currently. I know JD is king in the world of small tractors, but I'm not locked in to green tractors necisarrraly.

Besides John Deere and Kubota, are there any other brands that compete as far as top tier compact tractors for what I do?

I have 2 acres. Half of it is grass, so I mow quite a bit, but I often drop the mid mount mower in order to hook on to my tiller, or a blade, or a rake, or my quick-tach front end loader. In the winter, I hook up a front mount snow blower and rear mount blade. I also trailer my tractor quite a bit when I go tilling or moving dirt for friends and neighbors.

26 HP and 1,900 lbs has been enough for most all my needs. Honestly, the feature I desire most is probably the ability to quickly and easily change attachments.

/ Top Brands #2  
I am not sure what makes you think John Deere is the king of the world of small tractors. They are an OK tractor, but king of the world is a definite overstatement. Kubotas are very good, but expensive. Branson and Mahindra are quality brands to consider. LS and Yanmars aren't that bad either. As far as ease of changing attachments, ease of trailering, etc. they are all about the same. Their are aftermarket aids you can buy that help with attachment changing.

/ Top Brands #3  
Peruse this thread:

/ Top Brands
Anyone know anything about Bobcat?

/ Top Brands #5  
I have a JD 2520 currently. I know JD is king in the world of small tractors, but I'm not locked in to green tractors necisarrraly.

I have 2 acres. Half of it is grass, so I mow quite a bit, but I often drop the mid mount mower in order to hook on to my tiller, or a blade, or a rake, or my quick-tach front end loader. In the winter, I hook up a front mount snow blower and rear mount blade. I also trailer my tractor quite a bit when I go tilling or moving dirt for friends and neighbors.

26 HP and 1,900 lbs has been enough for most all my needs. Honestly, the feature I desire most is probably the ability to quickly and easily change attachments.
First of all, your JD 2520 is a Yanmar engine. So it's green is only skin deep.

And if you're only mowing 1 acre any tractor will do. It's all the other attachments that make the difference.

My BIL has an LS; very nice. I have a Kioti and I like it but it's too big for mowing even my 3 acres. The Kubota BX are very nice but pricy. I suspect who is available in a reasonable distance and price for the SCUT will be critical.

/ Top Brands #6  
What are the next best top brands that I should consider when I replace my tractor?

Besides John Deere and Kubota, are there any other brands that compete as far as top tier compact tractors for what I do?

Is there a problem with your current machine? A Quick Hitch matched to your implements might be all you need.
If you look at market share, Kubota is king in the world of small tractors last I checked.

Lots of great machines out there. LS, Mahindra, Yanmar, TYM, Kioti, Massey, JD, Kubota. Which dealers are around you?

/ Top Brands #7  
Branson as well but appears they are going to get merged with TYM. Still it's a good tractor worth considering and I think support will continue but YMMV

/ Top Brands
Is there a problem with your current machine? A Quick Hitch matched to your implements might be all you need.
If you look at market share, Kubota is king in the world of small tractors last I checked.

Lots of great machines out there. LS, Mahindra, Yanmar, TYM, Kioti, Massey, JD, Kubota. Which dealers are around you?
I like my current JD 2520 well enough. My biggest gripe is that the local JD dealer caters to big farmers and looks at me like a nuisance.

I was under the impression that JD lead the way for implements, ease of attachment, and the like. (Maybe I'm wrong)

Haven't started shopping a ton yet. I can probably find Kubota, Bobcat, and Kioti locally, but their sales stores are not going to be part of any big network.

I've got to have an easy mid-mount mower. loader, and tiller changeability.

/ Top Brands #9  
Seems to me you are changing like for like. I would probably stick with the JD in that case and deal with the nuisance JD dealer. Especially if you value dealer networks as nobody else but Kubota seems to have a large established dealer network and they have a similar attitude as JD.
Clarified as JD = bigger farmers, Kubota = lots of smug dealers.

/ Top Brands #10  
Anyone know anything about Bobcat?

Bobcat tractors are produced for Bobcat as private labels by Kioti. The only two differences are paint color and price.

Direct from Kioti with orange paint they are cheaper.

Last edited: