ATV Tubeless Tire Repair

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I got a ragged 1" long cut on a Sportsman 500 front tire. We have a lot of vertically grained shale here so it was probably a sharp rock, The cut is where the R1 type tread meets the side wall. I am going to tube it. It runs at 4 psi so there is a lot of flex I would guess. Should I patch the inside of the of the tire some how or is that a waste of time ?? Thanks.

gg

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #2  
Can't hurt....would probably help to keep it from spreading the tear further as the tire flexes

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #3  
Defiantly repair the cut. Boots (beefed up,thick patchs) are available where tractor tires are repaired. There is also a filler type material to fill void after boot is in place. I've booted some wicked splits in tractor tires and can't say that I ever noticed it cause a problem. Believe it or not,"back in the day" it was also commonly done with car tires.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #4  
There is a chance at only 4 psi the tire could slip on the rim and rip the valve stem from a tube. (unless you have rim locks)

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #5  
Definitely put a patch over the hole, inside the tire. What can (and will, on semi tires) happen is, as the tire flexes, the cut will keep "nibbling" on the tube until it worries a hole in it.
We used a patch that looked like a giant thumb tack. Prepare the inside of the tire with solvent, then glue. Fish the "sharp point" end of the "thumb tack" thru the hole, from the inside, then pull it thru until the underside of the thumbtack connects with the inner layer of the tire. Pull it tight, then roll the patch down from the inside. Snip off the excess stem, talc the glue area so it doesn't stick to the new tube, and your ready to install the tube.

Its going to be hard to source that ^^kind of patch, but a regular patch that's used on tubes will suffice. If the tire is a radial, you need to find a patch rated for radial.

Edit: in retrospect, if you have to take the tire off the rim anyway, just patch the tire from the inside with a appropriate patch onto the inner liner. Prep with solvent, grind or buff the area until smooth, apply glue, let dry, then apply patch and roll down. Might be easier and just as economical to have a tire shop do it.

I've done my own tires all my life, as well as hundreds or even thousands of car, truck, trailer and wagon tires, and this is how i do it.

Last edited:
   / ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #7  
There is a chance at only 4 psi the tire could slip on the rim and rip the valve stem from a tube. (unless you have rim locks)
So that all of us learn as we go,can you elaborate as to the reason tire doesn't "slip on rim"and release inflation when run tubeless? Thanks

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair #8  

Them rims ires are made to run low. Big bead on them.

/ ATV Tubeless Tire Repair
Thanks for all the good replies - I am very glad I asked. Guess I've been lucky and never had to learn much about tire repair. Now I'll get to patch a radial tire.

gg