1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump

/ 1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump #1  
Tractor
99 f250 7.3
Ran out of fuel in the driveway moving trailers around, 1999 f250 powerstroke 7.3. Wouldn't self prime so put a new lift pump in and had it running within 2 minutes. Let it run for 20 minutes then drove to the gas station and filled it up. It ran awful the whole time, figured it was just working the air out. The next day I hooked up to the boat and headed to the lake with the family, it had no power and chugged and shook at lower rpms and could barely pull the boat out of the lake.
Now I'm scrambling to get it running right as my family is due for a much needed vacation 120 miles towing a 34ft boat to lake superior.

/ 1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump #2  
If you ran it dry you probably sucked up a bunch of **** from the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter. 🍻

/ 1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump #3  
Have you refilled since the initial fuel used to get up and running again? There's about a 10% chance you got bad fuel initially, and if you returned to the same station to full up afterward it's likey the same fuel.

Nothing against the advice you will get here...posting this at oil burners net might elicit a greater response.

Last edited:
   / 1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump #4  
If you ran it dry you probably sucked up a bunch of **** from the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter. 🍻

x2, sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me. Pretty common occurrence when you run them out of fuel, that last 1% of fuel in the tank is usually some nasty stuff. Sediment, algae, maybe a little water. I would definitely change the fuel filter, and put some additive in the tank that atomizes water, just in case you did get another bad batch of fuel. I've found Hot Shot's Secret EDT work's well for this. Can usually be found at Tractor Supply.

/ 1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump #5  
Ditto on OP needing to change fuel filter for a new filter.

/ 1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump
x2, sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me. Pretty common occurrence when you run them out of fuel, that last 1% of fuel in the tank is usually some nasty stuff. Sediment, algae, maybe a little water. I would definitely change the fuel filter, and put some additive in the tank that atomizes water, just in case you did get another bad batch of fuel. I've found Hot Shot's Secret EDT work's well for this. Can usually be found at Tractor Supply.
Would make sense why the lift pump took a dump as well, got crud in it

/ 1999 F250 7.3 running like dog crap after running out of fuel and new lift pump
Have you refilled since the initial fuel used to get up and running again? There's about a 10% chance you got bad fuel initially, and if you returned to the same station to full up afterward it's likey the same fuel.

Nothing against the advice you will get here...posting this at oil burners net might elicit a greater response.
Yes but at a different station