Welding a Disc Blade.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #12  
   / Welding a Disc Blade.
A new disc was $32. But, it was fun learning! Thanks, to all.

/ Welding a Disc Blade.
snookered all of us eh? Now I'm starting to wonder if you really did have that spaceship in the first place.
It will be turned into "Garden Art" for the wife.

What it all came down to was the realization that if I did successfully weld it up, it likely wouldn't last long.

I was lucky I was discing a small field and saw it before running over it. Even worse, if I didn't notice it was gone, I could have "discovered" it while riding my ATV.

What was it that old Gambler said? "Gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em". The responses I got from this forum clearly indicated it was time to fold.

BTW, I took the old blade to the Farmer's Co-Op as an example so we could get the right size. The guy behind the counter took one look and said "Tried to weld it, huh? Disc blades don't weld too well. They always crack".

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #16  
There is some very clever and entertaining Garden Art out there. Good luck with yours. And post pictures.

/ Welding a Disc Blade. #17  
I have welded them. My brother broke one that way. Got another and threw the broke one down. Said it couldn't be welded. That's all he had to tell me. Because I took it and welded it. Welded fine, worked fine.

But in the future, if you get a broke one, weld it up, and weld the center hole up. They make good cooking pots over a fire or fish cooker. Give them to your friends. Weld a couple handles across each other. We use old horse shoes, but we have them around here. You can bend some rod or rebar to make handles.

I also sometimes weld a pipe off the convex side and make a grinder stand, or for any stationary equipment.

That piece you welded, grind it smooth because those collars bolt up against it when you put it on disc. The spring steel, or hardness part, is more about having a tough cutting edge. Put it on the end by the axle nut in case it breaks again. Easier to get to.