Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #1  

dirttoys

Platinum Member
Tractor
ac 170 bobcat 773 tak 235
My son did all new floors in his house about a month ago. I went up to help him take out the old to save money. I asked specifically if toilet pull/replace was in the deal and he said yes (that made me happy). So.... after the floors were done, he found re-setting the crappers were not in the deal, this was I am sure his error. The new floors reduced the height, and made the flanges too high. He called a plumber, and was quoted $2,400 to fix the flanges and re-seat 3 toilets. He told me this, (I assume) because he knew I would have a stroke, and come do it.

Which I did, replaced one flange, shimmed the other two with cutting board plastic 3/8 inch thick. Replaced one toilet with a leaking tank from the removal, all the shutoffs. It took a long day for an old guy, and cost just slightly north of $300 in parts.

My wife's father lives about 5 hours away. When her sister has to leave town, my wife goes and takes care of her father. Today she was in his basement (nice house but older) and found an area rug in a hallway wet. Called a plumber, $150 bucks to show up and do nothing. Estimate for $2,600 to: 1. replace toilet in common bath room. 2. new garbage disposal, and split drain assembly in kitchen. No drywall work.

Oddly, I had a stroke, and will be going down and doing it next week.

I know I am old, I know stuff is more expensive now. Based on what I did for a living, and what I was paid, I do not now, nor will I ever believe a plumber, even with burden rate, is worth $350k a year. I think people that prey on people that don't know any better for a living should have a shitty life.

I posted this because I am occasionally wrong, and try to learn when I am. Am I wrong?

Best,

ed

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #2  
That's high but I found most if not all contractors around here are scams. Incompetent, illegitimate and over priced. Most are just "handymen" with no real business. Even ones that call themselves plumbers or concrete guys

Even servall pest control tried to scam me. I watched my security cameras and caught them charging me for services they never did

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #3  
My son did all new floors in his house about a month ago. I went up to help him take out the old to save money. I asked specifically if toilet pull/replace was in the deal and he said yes (that made me happy). So.... after the floors were done, he found re-setting the crappers were not in the deal, this was I am sure his error. The new floors reduced the height, and made the flanges too high. He called a plumber, and was quoted $2,400 to fix the flanges and re-seat 3 toilets. He told me this, (I assume) because he knew I would have a stroke, and come do it.

Which I did, replaced one flange, shimmed the other two with cutting board plastic 3/8 inch thick. Replaced one toilet with a leaking tank from the removal, all the shutoffs. It took a long day for an old guy, and cost just slightly north of $300 in parts.

My wife's father lives about 5 hours away. When her sister has to leave town, my wife goes and takes care of her father. Today she was in his basement (nice house but older) and found an area rug in a hallway wet. Called a plumber, $150 bucks to show up and do nothing. Estimate for $2,600 to: 1. replace toilet in common bath room. 2. new garbage disposal, and split drain assembly in kitchen. No drywall work.

I know I am old, I know stuff is more expensive now. Based on what I did for a living, and what I was paid, I do not now, nor will I ever believe a plumber, even with burden rate, is worth $350k a year. I think people that prey on people that don't know any better for a living should have a shitty life.

I posted this because I am occasionally wrong, and try to learn when I am. Am I wrong?

Best,

ed
You think plumbers are bad? Try a roofer to replace a mere 4 shingles at $250 a pop. Yep, $1,000 to replace 4 shingles.

What did I do, found a neighbor who had several spare shingles about the same color. He said take them. I shimmied up the ladder, used better nails, and got all 4 done in 20mins. I did find about 3 others semi-loose and fixed those too.

Total cost, an arm that got shingle rash because I leaned too far reaching. 2-days later all better. :)

Like people are saying now, Gone are the days of the drive-thru value meals.
There is no free or discounted lunch in life, they are after your stash of gold.

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #4  

Best,

ed
Oh, when I was newly married and we got our first home/house, my day gave me a home warming gift of: I think I wore a few pages out. And also those FREE ACE Hardware home DIY repair flyers.

1656037831170.png

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #5  
There was a time when you could take night courses in things like framing, basic electrical, basic plumbing, et.al. which were meant to help you maintain your home. By the time I was ready to take one though, they had gone away. About 20 years ago I tried to sign up for a basic electrician course at the vo-tech school but they wouldn't let me; it was only for people thinking about getting into the trade. They suggested the Home Depot courses instead. Pfft; all that I could find was "fluff" classes like how to install track lighting. That doesn't do much good if you don't have a wire from the breaker box.

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....?
That's high but I found most if not all contractors around here are scams. Incompetent, illegitimate and over priced. Most are just "handymen" with no real business. Even ones that call themselves plumbers or concrete guys

Even servall pest control tried to scam me. I watched my security cameras and caught them charging me for services they never did
I had a neighbor and life long friend years ago when our kids were 14 or 15. Called me down to his house for a drink, presented me with my wedding ring (that I never wore) and asked me what the he11 it was doing in his house!

That was his funny way of telling me his son had stolen several items of jewelry from my house. We got it all back, with an apology. The educational part was what he told his son after, what I am certain, as a meaningful whooping: "Don't ever be a thief, it is the simplest, fastest, and easiest way to make money. Once you loose trust, you will never get it back, and it will cost twice what you make stealing."

I think when you look up capitalist my picture will pop up! But, I always believed I was providing a value that exceeded the cost. How do these darn people sleep??

You think plumbers are bad? Try a roofer to replace a mere 4 shingles at $250 a pop. Yep, $1,000 to replace 4 shingles.

What did I do, found a neighbor who had several spare shingles about the same color. He said take them. I shimmied up the ladder, used better nails, and got all 4 done in 20mins. I did find about 3 others semi-loose and fixed those too.

Total cost, an arm that got shingle rash because I leaned too far reaching. 2-days later all better. :)

Like people are saying now, Gone are the days of the drive-thru value meals.
There is no free or discounted lunch in life, they are after your stash of gold.
You know I hate my self for thinking I hope they get screwed on their next car repair (that certainly doesn't fix it). I feel older every day, this is not the world I grew up in.

best,

ed

/ Plumbers in specific, does anyone give a crap any more in general.....? #8  
Oh, when I was newly married and we got our first home/house, my day gave me a home warming gift of: I think I wore a few pages out. And also those FREE ACE Hardware home DIY repair flyers.

View attachment 751358
We got a few handy man bibles when we got married. Pretty useful gifts, I must say! (y)

There was a time when you could take night courses in things like framing, basic electrical, basic plumbing, et.al. which were meant to help you maintain your home. By the time I was ready to take one though, they had gone away. About 20 years ago I tried to sign up for a basic electrician course at the vo-tech school but they wouldn't let me; it was only for people thinking about getting into the trade. They suggested the Home Depot courses instead. Pfft; all that I could find was "fluff" classes like how to install track lighting. That doesn't do much good if you don't have a wire from the breaker box.
That stinks, the more I weld the more I think I would like to go back and do a real course. I suppose those are gone too.

best,

ed

We got a few handy man bibles when we got married. Pretty useful gifts, I must say! (y)
Yup, the boy is certainly my fault (that he doesn't have much do it yourself in him), so I will putter around with him while I am able, and I enjoy seeing him. Wife's dad is 85, cheating him is a different crime to me.

Best,

ed

Status
Not open for further replies.