Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #1  

Helloworld88

Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
We have a Kioti CK30HST with a KB2375 backhoe. The other day, the bottom pin for the boom fell out, and lots of damage occurred. Right/left swing hydraulic pistons busted (and have since been repaired), but the current damage is the bent upper pin.

I'm looking for some advice as to how to repair this. I have a sledge hammer. :) but not sure that's the right approach. One thought I had was to heat up the top portion and then give it some gentle whacks. Another thought would be to simply cut off the bent portions, have new ones made or straighten out the cut off pieces, and then weld the parts back on.

Would love to hear other thoughts. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 396
   / Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #2  
Lot’s of heat, cherry red, and a ten pound sledge may do it. Might want to have it blocked up when hammering

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #3  
Gouge rig.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice
Lot’s of heat, cherry red, and a ten pound sledge may do it. Might want to have it blocked up when hammering
Thanks for the response!

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #5  
My first thought would be heat and hammer, but really would like to hear other ideas...

Last edited:
   / Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #8  
Heat, hammer and one of those large $60 welding clamps.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #9  
I would use a grinder to cut a horizontal grove about half way through the bent upper plate. Then I would use a clamp, heat, and hammer to bend the plate down until it can release the vertical pin. If necessary, I would go ahead deepen the notch until the pin is released. It makes no difference if it is cut in two as it has to be re-welded anyway.

Then I would use heat and leverage - but mostly heat - to bend all the other plates back into proper shape. It might be possible to just re-weld the upper. But I'd probably weld another plate to both the top and bottom to straighten those plates as well as making them twice as thick as they are now. Then use a longer pin as required.

rScotty

I had another thought..... When I actually attempt this repair, I will move all the hoses out of the way and also disconnect the boom from the frame. With the upper pin hole now open, my thought would be to use HEAT along with a crow bar that would allow me to apply pressure down to bend (without hammering). Thinking this might work well.