Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #11  
As a novice, I'm not quite sure what 'Gouge rig' means. Doing a search, it seems like some type of welding approach?
Maybe a carbon arc torch would find you better results. It will blow the pin out.

I'm afeered that the heat and beat approach won't work. Heat will expand it. Beating it will mushroom the red hot steel. Gouge rig will blow a finger tip size bit at a time, without hurting the backhoe parts. I'd stretch the bucket and boom out and support it, usually with an A frame. I've changed stump pins many times. Had a guy here that dug graves for many funeral homes. He couldn't shut down but once a year. Needed re bushed each time.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #12  
We have a Kioti CK30HST with a KB2375 backhoe. The other day, the bottom pin for the boom fell out, and lots of damage occurred. Right/left swing hydraulic pistons busted (and have since been repaired), but the current damage is the bent upper pin.

I'm looking for some advice as to how to repair this. I have a sledge hammer. :) but not sure that's the right approach. One thought I had was to heat up the top portion and then give it some gentle whacks. Another thought would be to simply cut off the bent portions, have new ones made or straighten out the cut off pieces, and then weld the parts back on.

Would love to hear other thoughts. Thank you!!!
Helloworld88,

First response. OUCH, this is going to be tough to fix and probably expensive.

Before doing anything, ask your local Kioti dealer if they have had similar experience and what fix is.
Ask your local car body repair shop their opinion on fixing this. They usually have experience and tools for straightening bent car frames.
I don't see a location for your profile so you may or may not have these two options:
If you live near an implement fabricator then they might be able to help since they have tools and skills to bend heavy metal.
Lastly, if you live near a heavy equipment repair shop, they repair excavators, bucket loaders, and large backhoes that tear up their buckets, dippers, lift arms, etc

If the above does not provide any solutions then I suggest the following two routes since the lower plate does not appear bent;
First choice since upper and lower plates are clearly welded to a common point.

Cut the upper plate off machine, ahead of the reinforcement between upper and lower plates, since it is already damaged. This will allow you to remove backhoe and gives you workspace to properly fix damage.

You may now be able to flatten the lower plate using hydraulic press ( preferred method ) but be careful not to work too near the pin bore otherwise you may elongate the bore OR you may have to have a new plate fabricated including pin bore ( which will not be fun ).
Have your local metal yard fabricate a second plate to stack on top of flattened plate but with overly large hole where pin passes through. Second plate is to reinforce plate directly below it since upper plate is what takes all the load when trying to curl bucket down into ground.

Place a new straight pin in existing lower plate and place upper flattened plate onto pin with temporary blocking between upper and lower plate to hold correct spacing dimension before welding and during welding. Welding heat is going to try to bend/twist the upper plate. Measure and check alignment many times and then tack weld. Recheck dims and make sure pin isn't being twisted in upper/ lower bores and then fully weld. Allow to cool with clamps on.
Remove clamps and add reinforcement plate to upper now welded plate. Reclamp and tack, recheck pin for binding again. Fully weld.

Second choice since you could damage the lower plate by working on upper plate
First you need to get the backhoe off the machine to give yourself room to work and you don't damage something else while bending, banging, and heating. Can you clamp the upper and lower together to release the pivot pin with really beefy C clamp or a hydraulic clamp?

After backhoe off machine then put the pivot pin back into the hole to keep upper and lower bore aligned.
Here is where going gets tough. If you try to bend the upper plate down by clamping the upper and lower then you may end up bending both plates. If you heat the upper plate to bend it down, you need to make certain you don't twist it otherwise the upper and lower bores won't line up.

Good luck on your fix.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #13  
I had another thought..... When I actually attempt this repair, I will move all the hoses out of the way and also disconnect the boom from the frame. With the upper pin hole now open, my thought would be to use HEAT along with a crow bar that would allow me to apply pressure down to bend (without hammering). Thinking this might work well.
Yes definitely move hoses off to side and shield from any heat you may apply....

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #14  
I think there might be a easier way here.

First - any bending that may occur without the pin in place may bend the top plate in the wrong area. Right now, it looks to be an even parabolic bend. Take it off and hit with a BFH, and you might bend back in the wrong location.

I would try this:
- Leave everything in place as it is.
- Place a thick piece of threaded rod down the hole that locks the swing and add a nut and thick washer at the bottom plate side. Get as much thread on there and add another nut if you can to lock it in.
- Place some shims in the assembly to allow the plates to be bent back into shape, but not over-bend and not bend the bottom plate at all.
- Place a few more washers on the threaded rod, lube threads and run a nut down and compress the top plate back into shape.

You may have to adjust this method, but it will be the least destructive. If anything, it may not work, but it won't harm anything further.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #15  
I think first question is can pin be removed?... Al lot will depend on repair whether pin is in or out... IF pin is able to come out, detach BH and any repairs will be alot simpler...

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #16  
Many ways to skin a cat. Heat can help or hurt depending on experience. First attempt would be cold. That thick of plate not that hard to straighten.

Top and bottom 1/2”? Plates just support the pin. Middle 1”? Plate is the bearing for the pin.

If you can use a bolt to clamp thru the swing lock hole hole and use sympathetic vibration with big hammer and drift or metal solid block. Might require two people. I would not hit the plate with a hammer. Tap, tighten, tap, tighten repeat. Move just until some play in the plates with the pin. If that fixes great. If not plan B with heat. May have do a little bit of reaming or grinding to get the swing lock pin to fit again.

I might weld another plate or bushing to strengthen as an option.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #17  
I would use a grinder to cut a horizontal grove about half way through the bent upper plate. Then I would use a clamp, heat, and hammer to bend the plate down until it can release the vertical pin. If necessary, I would go ahead deepen the notch until the pin is released. It makes no difference if it is cut in two as it has to be re-welded anyway.

Then I would use heat and leverage - but mostly heat - to bend all the other plates back into proper shape. It might be possible to just re-weld the upper. But I'd probably weld another plate to both the top and bottom to straighten those plates as well as making them twice as thick as they are now. Then use a longer pin as required.
I'd go with Scotty's suggestion. Get the pin off, maybe take the hoses off as well. Take your favorite 5" grinder and put a notch in its top side, where-ever you want it to bend back. Maybe behind the pin? Grind a notch 1/2 through the thickness of the materiel and then bend it back down via hammer and I'd bend it a tad more that you need. (it will come back up when its welded) Then weld that grove you just made. No it will not be perfectly flat again, but close enough.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #18  
In my experience I have found that when faced with a repair like this you are better off to use incremental force until the desired result is achieved. Starting out with maximum heat and force may cause more damage.

I would build a "cage" to hold a 20 ton hydraulic jack by wrapping a piece of chain around the assembly and over the top of the jack. Apply pressure with the jack by pumping the jack up which will pull on the chain and force either the top plate down or the bottom up. If that doesn't move it apply heat to one plate at a time and apply pressure. By using hydraulic pressure you can do things slowly until you get the desired result.

As others have stated I would leave the pin in place to help align the parts.

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #19  
Done a lot of fabricating on heavy construction equipment. dont cut anything.
heat with a large rose tip and use a large HD metal clamp if you can borrow one.

Being a novice I would take it to a Construction or farm equipment repair shop and have it done.
will save a lot of heartache

/ Bending Metal?? Looking for some advice #20  
I had another thought..... When I actually attempt this repair, I will move all the hoses out of the way and also disconnect the boom from the frame. With the upper pin hole now open, my thought would be to use HEAT along with a crow bar that would allow me to apply pressure down to bend (without hammering). Thinking this might work well.

That is a good plan. Enough leverage and regulated force will make for a nice looking job.

Should add that when straightened cool the heated parts down slowly.