I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor?

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #21  
I've never raked grass unless I want it for mulch somewhere. Use all mulching mowers. Latest is a Ryobi ZT480e, 48v lead acid batteries. Will mow up to 2 acres on a charge. If you got an Ego with extra batteries, you could do 3 1/2 acres. However, gotta ask why you're mowing that much. Mow trails and then brush hog maybe once/yr.

Before the Ryobi ZT, we bought a Ryobi 40v "cross cut" 21 inch mower. Wive mowed our grass with it. With the ZT, I can do it (have neuropathy and a reattached left quad that has never stretched out).

Before going electric, we had an old JD self propelled mulcher and a Honda self propelled mulcher.
Curious as how the Ryobi ZT is doing for you. I was gonna buy one until I read a lot of reviews that were having various issues. Was a toss up between the Ego and the Ryobi but I like the Joystick on the Ryobi better than the oars on the Ego? How about cut life (do they mow as much as claimed? recharge time? and overall quality and finally. how much did you pay?

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #22  
Sounds kind of counter intuitive but cutting it higher, say 3.5” to 4” you will need to mow it less.

I have a bit of a problem with taking deflector chutes off. Ever drive by someone mowing with the chute off and the discharge aimed at you. Kind of like looking down the barrel of a gun. I know someone that got a window on a truck broken this way. Out in the middle of your yard it’s not a problem, just rig it up so you can lower it back down.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #23  
Zero Turn with open fab deck. Best solution.

CT

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #24  
Totally agree with the suggestions to not cut so low. High lift mulching blades can be an improvement. Having even discharge from the discharge chute is important. Mulching kit if available may also improve the situation.

I used to rake leaves in the Fall until I got a ZTR with high lift blades and a mulching kit which does such a great job that I no longer rake any leaves.

edit: I would not remove the discharge chute unless there's a factory mulching kit whose instructions say to remove the chute. On my ZTR, the discharge chute is still in place even though I have a mulching kit installed.

Last edited:
   / I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #25  
Sounds kind of counter intuitive but cutting it higher, say 3.5” to 4” you will need to mow it less.
Because the blades are longer, the roots deeper, roots access more water which will continue growth during drought. Supposed to cut no more than 1/3 of the blade length. So if allowed to grow to 6", cut two, But if grass length is 4", then cut 1.3". Takes longer to grow 2" than to cut 1.3". But property owner may be driven more by appearance, than making maximum recommended cut. Grass begins to look shaggy, and in need of cutting, when it goes longer than 4 days and started it's growing for the cycle at 4".

I should also have pointed out in my original post (#6), weeds like hot, grass likes cool. If grass allowed to grow long (4" plus), keeps the ground cooler and neighboring grasses cooler (in the shade of adjacent grasses). Short grass allows earth to get baked more by the sun, and hotter - welcomes weeds. For those with sidewalks and driveways - look adjacent to either. You're sure to notice more weeds near the pavement, than in the middle of the lawn. More pavement - more heat - more weeds.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #26  
A flail mower doesn't leave windrows like a rotary mower. It mulches and spreads as you go. I use one on a few acres and have a Kubota ZT for the good paddocks and around the house. The ZT can leave grass rows too but cutting in different directions helps spread it out. I also have a lawn sweeper I tow behind the ride-on tractor that picks up the excess when I get fussy. The bin fills pretty quickly on that at times.
To sum up, I think you should look at a flail mower.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #27  
Curious as how the Ryobi ZT is doing for you. I was gonna buy one until I read a lot of reviews that were having various issues. Was a toss up between the Ego and the Ryobi but I like the Joystick on the Ryobi better than the oars on the Ego? How about cut life (do they mow as much as claimed? recharge time? and overall quality and finally. how much did you pay?
Think the Ryobi was $4200 (last year). Not aware of difference in controls between the Ryobi and Ego. The ZT480e has the 2 "oars" to each side of you.

A couple days ago, I had a vibration from the blades. Stopped and went to the garage and lifted the front with my floor jack (using that attachment point for the deck right in front). One of the blades was slightly bent and loose. I removed both and sharpened them and tried to straighten the bent blade. It's causing the left side to cut about 1/2 to 3/4" lower than the right side. Just ordered new blades from Home Depot: $33. LOTs easier doing the blades with the floor jack than removing the deck, etc.

I've taken to mowing a lot more stuff now that I replaced the OEM turfs with Carlisle Super Lugs (MUCH safer with MUCH better grip). Cannot imagine what caused the one blade to bend down a bit. Likely some big piece of wood/branch.

The battery level has never gone below 70% even with the increased amount of mowing I've been doing with it.

The Ego at Lowes now is $4,999.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #28  
The first mod I did to my Bad Boy was add a shoot lift. It's always up in high grass but it's also handy near fences, trees and buildings. I just happened to have a couple of convertible top pumps and cylinders. I wired one set with an on-off-on switch so I can raise and lower the shoot at will from the seat. Oh yeah, I also added "step tape" to both sides of the deck.

Chute Lift Cylinder.jpg

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #29  
A flail mower doesn't leave windrows like a rotary mower. It mulches and spreads as you go. I use one on a few acres and have a Kubota ZT for the good paddocks and around the house. The ZT can leave grass rows too but cutting in different directions helps spread it out. I also have a lawn sweeper I tow behind the ride-on tractor that picks up the excess when I get fussy. The bin fills pretty quickly on that at times.
To sum up, I think you should look at a flail mower.
I agree on suggesting a flail mower BUT I got mine for almost nothing in an auction and repairs were not too bad. I think if the OP were to buy a new flail in would cost almost twice what rotary cutter of the same width costs.

/ I hate grass raking! How can i avoid it? do i need a new tractor? #30  
Just a word of advice. Be careful when mowing with the safety chute raised, my son has a scar by his eye, and last year my daughter had a window taken out of her car by a mower that threw a stone.
At least where I am it is illegal for a dealer to repair a mower and return it to the owner if any safety devices are removed or not functioning properly. Also a good way to lose your bank account when it gets emptied by an ambulance chaser.