Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,651  
IIRC many of the Hanford issues are due to 1950s era tanks that were intended to be used for storage for 20 years, but are still in use, not for dry cask stored waste such as is produced by a modern reactor.

Aaron Z
You are thinking that fuel rods are the only waste created by nuclear reactors. The cooling water dissolves radioactive isotopes from the fuel cells, and even the tritium formed by neutron bombardment of the water has to be stored for decades.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,652  
One down side of EVs that I recently discovered is that AM radio is difficult if not impossible in an EV. Entertainment has digital options, but an EV would require giving up AM ham radio and CB communications, at east while the vehicle is in operation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,653  
One down side of EVs that I recently discovered is that AM radio is difficult if not impossible in an EV. Entertainment has digital options, but an EV would require giving up AM ham radio and CB communications, at east while the vehicle is in operation.

That is a new one. If the main EV ownership interest is in the 35-45 age group they may not know about AM radio. Most of my in car listening
Is Youtube streaming. Not sure AM is around any longer but it was about the only game in the 50s.

i will check on the Leaf when I move it to stay in the shade.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,654  
I spoke with an LA friend yesterday who just got a Chevy Bolt. $35K and dealer had one left. He said two customers in showroom started a bidding war on it over MSRP.
He just returned from Vegas where at the Barrett Jackson auction an electric Mustang sold for $113K.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,656  
I think the last Volt was 2019.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,657  
That is a new one. If the main EV ownership interest is in the 35-45 age group they may not know about AM radio. Most of my in car listening
Is Youtube streaming. Not sure AM is around any longer but it was about the only game in the 50s.

i will check on the Leaf when I move it to stay in the shade.
Most AM radio has turned into alternate reality politics, but we have a local station that does an hour of noon news 5 days a week. The program includes a 20 minute interview with people of interest, like state and national legislators, county commissioners, county medical officer, county sheriff, officers of service organizations, business leaders, tribal leaders, etc. It does a lot to knit the community together, rather than ripping it apart like the national blather does.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,658  
Apparently Bolt, not Volt...my goof.
2022_07_12_16.07.24.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,659  
The Volt WAS a plug in electric hybrid. Ceased production in 2019.
The Bolt IS a battery electric still in production.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,660  
AM? What even is that?