Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,641  
I wish Washington would just get rid of the fossils.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,642  
Good news for EV owners, bad news for Tesla owners as the lines will get LONGER now.

View attachment 753725
Do you really think Tesla is interested in any of the $7.5 billion from Joe *****?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,643  
I knew this would happen:

In a state where Toyota is moving forward on a planned $1.3 billion electric vehicle battery plant that is expected to create 1,750 jobs, four Republican N.C. House members have filed legislation — couched as a quest for equity for drivers who still choose to gas up rather than plug in — that would limit access to free electric vehicle chargers.

The Equitable Free Vehicle Fuel Stations Act would require that an equal number of gratis gas pumps be installed anywhere there are no-cost chargers on municipal, county and state property. That would include public parking lots, parks and government-owned facilities.

The legislation, filed May 26, was drafted by Rep. Keith Kidwell, whose district includes Beaufort and Craven counties, and co-sponsored by Ben Moss (Montgomery, Richmond, Stanly), Mark Brody (Anson, Union) and George Cleveland (Onslow).
“I believe in clean, renewable energy solutions that are brought forward by the free market,” co-sponsor Moss wrote in an email to the Journal. “However, I don’t believe that taxpayers should be footing the bill by providing ‘free’ electric vehicle charging stations on state and local government property unless the same locations offer gasoline or diesel fuel at no charge. There is no reason hardworking taxpayers should be subsidizing energy costs for the owners of $100,000+ vehicles. Until EVs are affordable for working families and made 100% in the USA, we need to do more to increase American energy production.”
In addition to the pump-per-plug mandate, the bill also would force businesses with free electric vehicle chargers to disclose on customers’ receipts what percentage of their purchase goes toward paying for them.
Clean-energy advocates call the legislation a blatant attempt to inconvenience electric vehicle owners.

“So we’re going to tell private businesses what they can provide at no charge to attract customers?” Bill Blancato, a Winston-Salem attorney and regional coordinator for Climate Lobby, asked in an email as he sat at a Tesla supercharger in Richmond, Virginia, on Tuesday afternoon. “If we’re being consistent, we should tell customers how much ‘free’ parking costs. Free parking doesn’t benefit people who walk to the business.”
“They still run on the same roads,” Brody said of electric vehicles. “Even if you don’t buy gas, you still have to make a contribution” toward the cost of maintaining those roads.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,644  
I knew this would happen:

In a state where Toyota is moving forward on a planned $1.3 billion electric vehicle battery plant that is expected to create 1,750 jobs, four Republican N.C. House members have filed legislation — couched as a quest for equity for drivers who still choose to gas up rather than plug in — that would limit access to free electric vehicle chargers.

The Equitable Free Vehicle Fuel Stations Act would require that an equal number of gratis gas pumps be installed anywhere there are no-cost chargers on municipal, county and state property. That would include public parking lots, parks and government-owned facilities.

The legislation, filed May 26, was drafted by Rep. Keith Kidwell, whose district includes Beaufort and Craven counties, and co-sponsored by Ben Moss (Montgomery, Richmond, Stanly), Mark Brody (Anson, Union) and George Cleveland (Onslow).
“I believe in clean, renewable energy solutions that are brought forward by the free market,” co-sponsor Moss wrote in an email to the Journal. “However, I don’t believe that taxpayers should be footing the bill by providing ‘free’ electric vehicle charging stations on state and local government property unless the same locations offer gasoline or diesel fuel at no charge. There is no reason hardworking taxpayers should be subsidizing energy costs for the owners of $100,000+ vehicles. Until EVs are affordable for working families and made 100% in the USA, we need to do more to increase American energy production.”
In addition to the pump-per-plug mandate, the bill also would force businesses with free electric vehicle chargers to disclose on customers’ receipts what percentage of their purchase goes toward paying for them.
Clean-energy advocates call the legislation a blatant attempt to inconvenience electric vehicle owners.

“So we’re going to tell private businesses what they can provide at no charge to attract customers?” Bill Blancato, a Winston-Salem attorney and regional coordinator for Climate Lobby, asked in an email as he sat at a Tesla supercharger in Richmond, Virginia, on Tuesday afternoon. “If we’re being consistent, we should tell customers how much ‘free’ parking costs. Free parking doesn’t benefit people who walk to the business.”
“They still run on the same roads,” Brody said of electric vehicles. “Even if you don’t buy gas, you still have to make a contribution” toward the cost of maintaining those roads.
I can definitely understand where this legislation is going.

What's good for one better be good for all.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,645  
I wonder if buyers are just waiting on their full size EVs?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,646  
Please keep the politics out of the discussion. Yes, that’s hard. Sorry.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,647  
Same happened the last recession and also when fuel spiked...

There was a spat of expensive low MPG vehicle fires or people purposing leaving no longer wanted vehicles in harm's way...

When you want out and are upside down desperate people sometimes do desperate things...

I mentioned my neighbor with his big Dodge diesel that is the best time vehicle he has ever used in business...

Surprised the heck out of me when he said he was getting rid of it and even more so when he said 70k asking price!!!

He is looking at a much smaller electric or hybrid SUV.

A little off topic but throw it in as too how the market shifted...

One of the docs that would track his Camaro just about every weekend sold it last year to a car buying group for 53k and they still have it and where it had been at 60k is now 48k

Fuel mileage is not an attribute of this car...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,648  
Trying to chase fuel/energy prices for a reason to sell and then immediately purchase a vehicle is a fool's errand for most of us and most likely we aren't being honest as to why i need this new to me vehicle.

Selling and purchasing a vehicle based on the "coolness" factor has always been a major reason for vehicle purchases.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,649  
We need a permanent nuclear waste repository. Nuclear is illegal in my state until one becomes available. We're tired of Hanford leaking into the Columbia.
IIRC many of the Hanford issues are due to 1950s era tanks that were intended to be used for storage for 20 years, but are still in use, not for dry cask stored waste such as is produced by a modern reactor.

I wonder if buyers are just waiting on their full size EVs?

My money would be on a lack of availability, can't buy a truck that you can't get from the manufacturer.
Ford has sold every truck that they have made and (IIRC) they shut off orders for new Superduty trucks for this year's production cycle back in April.

Aaron Z