HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #41  
I'm a little mystified too. The window looks to be blocked with white paint.
What does it look like when the fluid level is correct?
It seems better to go by what the dipstick shows. Does it come with a dipstick or do you have to make your own?
rScotty

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #42  
It seems better to go by what the dipstick shows. Does it come with a dipstick or do you have to make your own?
rScotty
Actually, the sight glass has a white standoff with a space between it and the glass itself so you can more easily ascertain the level. I just replaced the sight glass on my Quincy reciprocating compressor with a new one, because the original one started leaking around the window and the new one I got from MSC has a white standoff built into it for easier viewing.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #43  
rScotty
I'm assuming that since I put red dye in the hydraulic reservoir last year that no red in sight glass means low hydraulic fluid?

No dipstick for the hydraulic fluid.

Poor design by Kubota not to supply a dipstick or at least dye the hydraulic fluid a different color than clear.

I'm mystified where the hydraulic fluid leaked?

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #44  
I'm assuming that since I put red dye in the hydraulic reservoir last year that no red in sight glass means low hydraulic fluid?

No dipstick for the hydraulic fluid.

Poor design by Kubota not to supply a dipstick or at least dye the hydraulic fluid a different color than clear.

I'm mystified where the hydraulic fluid leaked?
To avoid risk of overfilling, specially with how expensive fluid is, try lift the front of the tractor with the loader have someone checking the sight glass to see if it will show something.

Last edited:
   / HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #45  
Myself, I don't use SUDT or UDT. I use Chevron synthetic and it come pre colored.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #46  
To avoid risk of overfilling, specially with how expensive fluid is, try lift the front of the tractor with the loader have someone checking the sight glass too see if it will something.

That makes sense. Might make sense to make up a dipstick while you are at it Also always check hydraulic oil before running when the oil is cold.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #47  
To avoid risk of overfilling, specially with how expensive fluid is, try lift the front of the tractor with the loader have someone checking the sight glass to see if it will show something.
Good point. The only reason I added hydraulic fluid was because I have not touched the level or added since I put the red dye in and it the level showed good in the sight glass. Could the dye have dissolved somehow?

Attachments

• sight_glass_April_2021.jpg
    sight_glass_April_2021.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 69
   / HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #48  
I did have the fan blade replaced two months ago by Kubota dealer. Would they need to mess with the hydraulic fluid to access the fan blade (removing the radiator?)

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #49  
Good point. The only reason I added hydraulic fluid was because I have not touched the level or added since I put the red dye in and it the level showed good in the sight glass. Could the dye have dissolved somehow?
I don't think the dye dissolves that easy, otherwise it would kinda defeat the purpose. On your other picture, I really don't see any signs of oil on the sight glass either, so I don't think it overfilled.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #50  
IF they removed the radiator they likely also removed the HST cooler and lost a tad bit.
I agree to see just how low it is, lift the front of the tractor a tad.....

Im guessing you probably arent that low....
Yes a dipstick would be a better option. So would the fill location that is always a PITA to get a funnel and 5-gal bucket pouring into without making a mess...lol.

Also...try lowering the 3PH and lowering the loader and curling it all the way back also. That puts as much fluid back in the tractor as possible