HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #31  
I took this photo this morning and was going to say that I don't seem to have a problem determining if the hydraulic oil is at the right level, but it occurred to me that I might have a problem if it weren't for the bubble at the top of the sight glass. There might be some red dye in my future. On a related topic, I have 30 hours on my MX6000 now and the engine oil is still pristine. Looking forward to the first service in a month or two.

sight_glass.jpg

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #32  
I bought the JD hydraulic dye through Walmart.com. Got it within a week and added the entire contents (< 2 oz) as the instructions stated.

Definitely made a difference in visually seeing the hydraulic level through the sight glas.
If the unit is level front to back and side to side, it's overfilled. Should only be 1/2 up in the window.

In reality you only want the fluid to be just below the PTO seal and no more. Fluid against the seal constantly will cause it to eventually leak.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #33  
The relative positions of the FEL cylinders really has no impact on fluid levels in the gearcase anyway because the cylinders are all double acting so, no matter where the pistons are, the cylinders will be constantly full of fluid. However, the 3 point lift, if it has external cylinders will, because those cylinders are single acting so you want the 3 point lift arms in the lowest (retracted) position. Same applies with the older rockshaft style.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #34  
Fluid against the seal constantly will cause it to eventually leak.
While proper level is important. This is not correct.

ITs a seal. oil partially against it, or it completely submerged it still shouldnt leak.

What if the tractor is going up a hill? What if its going sideways across a hill...does an axle seal leak? What about the seal where the driveshaft that drives the front axle comes out the bottom. Does it "eventually" leak since it is always submerged in oil?

More important to prevent leaks is to make sure the vase vent/breather dont get plugged. That way internal pressure doesnt build up when things heat up

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #35  
If the unit is level front to back and side to side, it's overfilled. Should only be 1/2 up in the window.

In reality you only want the fluid to be just below the PTO seal and no more. Fluid against the seal constantly will cause it to eventually leak.
Did you just make all that up? 😄

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #36  
Not at all.

That was from my Kubota tech (Dennis) at the dealership I deal with. Dennis told me the fluid level in the gearcase needs to be at the level of the rear PTO shaft seal but not above it, when the tractor is sitting and level in 2 planes because the seal isn't designed to seal a constant pressure from the fluid against it. Besides, the gearcase is lubricated by splash anyway.

Maybe yours is, yours is much newer than either of mine are. Mine are 2002 and 2004 M9's.

In my case, because I exchange pto shafts on my 2 speed (540 6 spline - 1000 21 spline), Having excess fluid in the gearcase only results in a mess when I exchange shafts anyway though I still back the tractor up on heavy duty ramps when I change them out.

No point in loosing expensive fluid on the ground, the fluid I use (Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic) is pretty expensive stuff. Last time I bought a drum, it was just over 100 bucks per 5 gallons and my units each take just shy of15 gallons on a changeout.

In reality I don't much care what you do. Just passing on my experience, nothing more.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #37  
Did you just make all that up? 😄
Sure looks like that. 😅

I wonder how the wheel seals survive under all that oil? Or the 4WD shaft seal that comes out under the transmission?

Last edited:
   / HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #38  
Not at all.

That was from my Kubota tech (Dennis) at the dealership I deal with. Dennis told me the fluid level in the gearcase needs to be at the level of the rear PTO shaft seal but not above it, when the tractor is sitting and level in 2 planes because the seal isn't designed to seal a constant pressure from the fluid against it. Besides, the gearcase is lubricated by splash anyway.

Maybe yours is, yours is much newer than either of mine are. Mine are 2002 and 2004 M9's.

In my case, because I exchange pto shafts on my 2 speed (540 6 spline - 1000 21 spline), Having excess fluid in the gearcase only results in a mess when I exchange shafts anyway though I still back the tractor up on heavy duty ramps when I change them out.

No point in loosing expensive fluid on the ground, the fluid I use (Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic) is pretty expensive stuff. Last time I bought a drum, it was just over 100 bucks per 5 gallons and my units each take just shy of15 gallons on a changeout.

In reality I don't much care what you do. Just passing on my experience, nothing more.

So your Kubota tech made it up. 😄 I would recommend being careful of what this tech advises you as the Kubota owners manual is clear on how to check fluid level.

In my owners manual it gives you the fluid level range that is acceptable.

fluid_level_check.jpg

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #39  
Maybe yours is, yours is much newer than either of mine are. Mine are 2002 and 2004 M9's
I guess you have reading comprehension issues...

In reality, I don't much care what you do. It's yours, not mine.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #40  
Sight_glass_July_2022.jpg

Checked my hydraulic fluid sight glass yesterday. I had put red dye in it last year.

I see nothing. I added the remaining jug of hydraulic fluid (1 qt) but still nothing.

The tractor has 30 hrs and I see no leaks anywhere on the tractor.