Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #41  
Funny I was thinking Pet Rock when I saw this and someone posted it. I remember seeing them in stores. Someone mentioned rotary phones. We went out to lunch two days ago and stopped in a antique store. This was for sale.
6A49F243-A72D-49CA-8443-CB7DDEE5396B.jpeg

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #42  
Not quite the same thing, but this was a great drug/convenience/sporting goods store which sold out to a chain in 1994.
Former LaVerdiere’s Drugstore employees reflect on fond memories

I was in there once and walked past a display of styrofoam surf boards which were common in the day. They were stacked end for end, just as I walked past one of them started to tumble. I grabbed it and tried to stand it up, which cause the next one to fall over, starting a chain reaction. I scrambled to keep them from falling over and in hindsight it was rather comical.
At the time the TV show "Candid Camera" was on, and I confess that I looked around afterward to make sure that nobody saw me.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #43  
I am not sure if you could order it, but you could buy paregoric over the counter, my mother used it on my little brother to stop teething fussiness. If you don't know, it is opium and alcohol.

I used to buy blueing solutions in the 1980's that have been removed from the market. I haven't seen trichloraltrifloralethane sold as a degreaser in years.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #44  
White lead.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #45  
You don't need xray glasses today. All you gotta do is go to the mall.

Nothing but freaks at the one mall around here.
What I see of them is enough. Dont wanna see the rest.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #46  
Nothing but freaks at the one mall around here.
What I see of them is enough. Dont wanna see the rest.
Been a long time since I've been to a mall. 20 years ago though living in Orlando, it was either short skirts or short shorts and belly shirts.

Assets were barely covered and didn't take much movement for them to be exposed.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #47  
I am not sure if you could order it, but you could buy paregoric over the counter, my mother used it on my little brother to stop teething fussiness. If you don't know, it is opium and alcohol.

I used to buy blueing solutions in the 1980's that have been removed from the market. I haven't seen trichloraltrifloralethane sold as a degreaser in years.
There used to be a lady somewhere around here who must have been addicted. My mother referred to her as "the paregoric woman".

I never liked the way paeregoric tasted.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #48  
Not quite the same thing, but this was a great drug/convenience/sporting goods store which sold out to a chain in 1994.
Former LaVerdiere’s Drugstore employees reflect on fond memories

I was in there once and walked past a display of styrofoam surf boards which were common in the day. They were stacked end for end, just as I walked past one of them started to tumble. I grabbed it and tried to stand it up, which cause the next one to fall over, starting a chain reaction. I scrambled to keep them from falling over and in hindsight it was rather comical.
At the time the TV show "Candid Camera" was on, and I confess that I looked around afterward to make sure that nobody saw me.
Surfboard dominos. :)

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #50  
100 years ago you could order an entire house from SEARS. :)
They sold everything in their heyday. I have a JC Higgins .22 by Sears, as well as a Hercules 16 gauge shotgun by Montgomery Ward.
Both were my father's.

Status
Not open for further replies.