Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #111  
I've always given thought to switching to Linux, since I was a teenager actually, but it comes off as rather intimidating.
I worked in IT for over 25 years, as a UNIX system administrator, who was forced by mangagement to make WIndoze computers work with UNIX. While it could be done, 75% of my time was doing updates to keep Windoze running. When management opened the door too far, I left. From that time on, I worked for myself, doing computer installs and upgrades. While I dabbled in Windoze, when Version 10 came out, I had had enough and retired. I never regretted either move. When the early versions of Linux came out, I was all in. I have been using Linux now for many, many years and have never looked back. I converted my daughters, son, wife, and many others. As for intimidation, that is what Windoze is all about!

As for cars and subscriptions, the way to say no to that is not buy or subscribe. I too am looking for a much older vehicle for my next "new" car. Even if I have to pay $40K to find one! I can live without AC, PW, AT, etc, etc, etc. Some of us 'older folk' remember when there was no such thing, and we survived. AC was called '4-60'....4 windows down doing 60 mph!

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #112  
My 85 Ramcharger has a module behind the glove box whose sole purpose is to turn on the check computer light after so many miles or hours. It was put in so you would have to return to a dealer to turn it off and while you was there, they could sell you service. By the way the truck dont have a computer.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #113  
I won't even rent Word or Quicken. I buy 10-year-old install disks secondhand.
Ditto here on the rental, I use the open source ones. Open Office for Word, don't know if there's a Quicken alternative tho.......M

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #114  
Next will be the baggage fee for using the trunk. Used cars without these things are going to more of a commodit.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #115  
I went through the same thing with banking until I figured out that there are still banks out there that offer no fee checking and savings accounts, you just have to keep a minimum 10k monthly balance or some form of that, the numbers vary from bank to bank, also if you have a local credit union they are sometimes far better to deal with over chain banks, I still have an account with my local credit union and probably always will, I just have an account with a chain bank because no matter where you go or travel to you can find a branch to get cash or if you have a problem.
I don't think I've paid banking fees for well over 20 years - personal or business. Not that I have huge sums in the bank, but I shop around. For example, Chase offered a military account with free basic checks, no fees & no monthly minimums - I still have the accounts, but there isn't a local branch in AR, so it's primarily a transfer account. Local banks 'round here offer free basic checks, no fee, essentially no minimum ($20 minimum) average monthly balance.

I've had folks round here ask how I got such a good deal. I told them, I just asked if they had a free basic account and they brought out the information. BTW, all of these accounts I have include most (if not all) of the features that a person might want - free cashiers checks, free transfers (# of savings transfers are limited each month on some accounts), bill pay, etc, etc. Business account does Not include free credit card processing, but that's what square is for. I don't get more that a couple grand in credit card sales per year - most folks round here use checks or cash.

Moral of the story, shop around. Banks no longer offer you a toaster to start an account, but they still want/need your money.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #117  
BMW is doing this, $39 a month or $390 a year. Who needs (wants) a heated seat more than a few months of the year anyway?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #118  
I read about that a month or so back re Toyotas and their remote start. They 'give' it to you for a year I think it was so you get comfortable with it and then boom, it stops working. From then on it's a monthly subscription.
IMHO, a slimy, underhanded blood sucking rip off..........Mike
I've got a RAV4 that had the option to renew at $8.00 a month for using their app that uses remote start and some other features. I cancelled but can still use the remote start just have to push the fob key to do so. No bigs.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #119  
My understanding was just that feature. Mind you, it's the feature that you've paid for, guess you don't own the car, just rent it.
I was watching a review of a Hyundai Ev ( I think it was a Hyundai) not that I would ever buy an electric car mind you. The charging cable was extra, $1,200, the girl doing the review compared it to buying a gas car, with a gas tank but no filler neck.

They may have, even if they did, I bet you dollars to donuts it'll be back
All EV's come with a L1 charging cable, if you want a L2 it will cost extra. Then you need to have a 40 amp 220 to plug it into to. I know, I have one.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #120  
Just as with Disney "goin woke" is getting them broke, GM and others will find out soon enough that the people are TIRED of being taken advantage of.