Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #211  
I was born before GPS, so I can do both a map or a phone app, so I’m not sure what you mean.
BTW: My son goes to Temple grad school and have no problem navigating the means streets of Philly, either.
The one thing a paper map can’t do is tell you when theres a traffic jam or accident ahead, or a speed trap ;) That has saved me a lot of time over the years. A phone app will redirect you around a traffic jam or accident, anywhere in the country, not just where you live.
So yeah, there ya go you roll your way, I‘ll roll my way. :)
On two trips to Oklahoma in the past year, we’ve been rolling along, the google maps on the cell phone pops up an accident ahead, and routed us over to old Route 66 that parallels the new highway. So we got some kicks on Route 66 and bypassed some massive traffic jams at the same time. Very nice.

Also nice of it to calculate how much time the hold up will take to clear. If it’s only a few minutes, we’ll usually just roll with the flow like everyone else. (y)

Plus, most atlases don‘t get down to the details that a GPS or map app can. Sure, they have maps of major cities, but most often, the smaller cities and town maps aren’t printed in the atlas. About the only thing an atlas is good for anymore is getting a really wide view, which is difficult on a cell phone-sized screen. My wife likes her atlas for that, as it’s easier for her to get a sense of how far away things are on a big map.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #212  
Its safer to get turn by turn directions verbally than to fumble with a paper map, taking your eyes off the road.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #213  
Its safer to get turn by turn directions verbally than to fumble with a paper map, taking your eyes off the road.
I was wondering how long before somebody brought that point up. ;) It still helps to have some clue where you are going though, as we've all heard the horror stories about somebody who blindly followed their GPS.
This discussion began as a conversation about monthly fees, and morphed into a question of if GPS is you need to pay the auto manufacturer for.
I suspect that they will follow the way of radios. For a long time you could easily pull the factory radio and put in a better unit. Now though, you're stuck with what they have and quite frankly, GM radios stink. Paying a subscription to Sirius helps, but even they don't work very well under trees and around the hills we call mountains here; plus I got tired of all of their commercials touting how they are commercial free.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #214  
"plus I got tired of all of their commercials touting how they are commercial free."

:ROFLMAO:

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #215  
My kids put a woman’s voice with a British accent on my GPS and called her Bridget.

When you came up to what we’d call an Off Ramp, she’d tell us to ”Take the slip road.” :ROFLMAO:

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #216  
My kids put a woman’s voice with a British accent on my GPS and called her Bridget.

When you came up to what we’d call an Off Ramp, she’d tell us to ”Take the slip road.” :ROFLMAO:
A friend changed his to Mr. T... it was absolutely hilarious for about a minute and a half. 😆

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #219  
How about the lady who drove into a
lake following her gps?? On the gps
it shows roads that don't exist never
was a road there! As for sirius I got
tired of hearing this what is was like
in the 50's or 60's etc. I got it for just
the music. Sure don't need some young
kid telling me what it was like in the 50's
I was there also it seems like the yak yak
yak got worse the longer I had it. I had
it for the free trial is all I could take!!!
I don't need gps if I have to go to a big
city I just study the map on the internet
and take the shorest route no problem!

willy

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #220  
Before we had a GPS unit, I’d print directions from Map Quest. We wanted to go to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Following the directions, the 4 lane highway turned into a 2 lane highway, then turned into 2 lane county road, then turned into a gravel road, then turned (literally) into a driveway that went past a house with honey for sale on the porch, through their barn and ended in a river! On the other side of the river we could see the Mammoth Cave park. :ROFLMAO: