Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock

/ Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock #11  
Did you buy your Kubota L3410 new and have you always had this very serious parking brake issue ?
I’m pretty sure if I hooked a bigger tractor to the front of my LS I could drag the LS around the yard and the rear wheels would just slide and never turn as long as the parking brake was locked up tight.

Last edited:
   / Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock #12  
Tractor is an HST - not sure if that would be a factor. I did a brief Internet search (after I posted here) and see that others have had this issue - creeping after setting the brake.
the brake should hold period, any creep is wrong. HST or gear box.

Unsplit your brake pedal. Try the ebrake on each side. May give you a starting point. The ebrake should easily hold on each side

/ Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock
Thanks to all. I will follow up.
1) I bought it with 16 hours on it, so new.
2) I am not sure I always had the issue as a lot of initial use was not on inclines, but likely yes - always an issue if my memory is accurate.
3) I will check out the manual and threads re adjustments.
4) There is not a huge amount of work over a years tune on inclines, but when you are there you are there and need a solution.

In the meantime, i.e., this morning (I was out working until one boot fell apart and I had to come back) I used something I found in the tractor shed:
Solid Steel Auto Ramp Set

It worked quite well.
Now also need to go to town for new boots.

Last edited:
   / Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock #15  
My Branson HST will hold on a slope if I make sure I pushed the brake pedal reasonably hard. It's got the type of brake with a simple ratchet that holds the brake pedal down. The steps on the ratchet are fairly large. I could see one step being not quite enough pressure on the brakes and the next being too hard to get to. Even though it holds I drop the implement and loader just in case.

I think that if the brake on one wheel was adjusted tighter than the other, you'd notice it even with the pedals locked because the tractor would be wanting to turn when you brake. But if one side was tighter than the other that would make the parking brake less effective.

/ Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock
Well, the tractor manual apparently anticipates that the brakes may not be enough as in the section on parking, it states: "If it is necessary to park on an incline, be sure to chock the wheels to prevent accidental rolling of the machine."

There is also a reference to adjusting the brake "pedals" to make the free play in each one equal. I am not sure if that would make a difference with my issue. And it could just be generally prudent advice for operating a tractor.

I will check out ruffdog's link which instructs on a different adjustment.

As always, thanks to all for responding.

/ Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock #17  
They just want both brakes equal so when you tie the pedals together, both brakes function and will hold.

/ Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock #18  
My relatively new B2650 has the same problem. I think it's on Kubota. I have no problem with the older B2710 or with my Deere.

/ Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock #19  
I have a Kubota L4400, gear drive , 2013 model. The parking brake on this machine is very inadequate, and has been this way since it was new. You have to depress the foot brake pedal with all the strength in your leg and set the brake lock lever, which is an undersized little lever. Once set, it is difficult to release. It will not reliably hold the tractor on any kind of incline. The transmission does not have a park position. This is the biggest disappointment I have with the tractor. I see it as a major design flaw. I have gotten used to always putting the loader bucket down to hold it in place for safety reasons. Does anyone else have the same problem?

/ Need a Primer on Tractor brake lock #20  
Tractor is an HST - not sure if that would be a factor. I did a brief Internet search (after I posted here) and see that others have had this issue - creeping after setting the brake.

Unsplit your brake pedal. Try the ebrake on each side. May give you a starting point. The ebrake should easily hold on each side

I didn't see a response, so try the unsplit, if you have left & right locked together. With the tractor in low, test the left and test the right brakes separately. You should be able to make the wheel skid with the brake.

Once upon a time ... I bought a used L3800 with HST. Had 69 hours. What can be wrong with a tractor with those hours? I found out the answer, though not saying you might have the same issue. The prior owner was a "doctor", but apparently a real newbie. When finished using it, he applied the parking brake, but did not tie left & right, so brake was only on the left wheel. When we used the tractor, apparently he always forgot that the brake was on, so essentially burned up the brake. In the test I suggest above, I could never get the left wheel to skid. Not wanting to replace the brakes, and due to other issues, I sold the unit with less than 100 hours.