Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,961  
Talking to the utilities engineer on-site for my new home in TN was told, "Same price for 400A or 200A service, we use the same wires and usually the same transformer as well."

I'll be on the end of a feed so I won't be sharing a transformer with anyone. Otherwise they commonly put 4 houses on one transformer, on the same tap from the transformer.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,962  
Uhhhh, isn't what they get paid to do?
Not if you ask and why so many departments are way under minimum staffing… some 30% under minimums which has a cascade effect.

When we had the riots countywide and the hospital clinic was being looted and I was there by myself answering a late night multi alarm over 20 deputies in full riot gear massed on the street corner…

I pleaded for help and was told it was not safe to send officers in and that I should try to leave if safe to do so.

One dealer lost 5 million in cars and damage… Home Depot’s looted, pharmacies in shambles…

It is only then I realized there is no duty for law enforcement to respond and they do not have to put themselves at risk.

All I could do is trip the 1200 amp 480v breaker, barricade some doors with furniture and leave… at least the lights would not be on and it made a difference.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,963  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,964  
Clearly going with solar panels is the ideal solution compared to nuclear and it's good to see solar recycling is making its learning curve and the new panels are getting more efficient as well some of them are just almost clear anymore and can be used over windows and things.
Not sure "ideal" is the word I'd use, but the nuke bus has left the station. The vast majority run trouble free, but it only took a couple to turn the public against them.
Like it or not, solar is going to be part of the picture for the foreseeable future.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,965  
When we had the riots countywide and the hospital clinic was being looted and I was there by myself answering a late night multi alarm over 20 deputies in full riot gear massed on the street corner…

I pleaded for help and was told it was not safe to send officers in and that I should try to leave if safe to do so.
No excuse for this. Has California gotten to the point where law enforcement personnel are only there to write parking tickets and bust citizens for putting recyclables in the wrong bins? Whatever happened to "serve and protect"?
Is the understaffing due to the whole "defund the police" BS from a couple years ago?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,966  
Yes… very much so but even more so would be the legal system refusing to prosecute or turning a blind eye to property crimes.

So many I know realize each shift could be their last and I am not addressing being injured… many just want out with pension intact…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,967  
Talking to the utilities engineer on-site for my new home in TN was told, "Same price for 400A or 200A service, we use the same wires and usually the same transformer as well."

I'll be on the end of a feed so I won't be sharing a transformer with anyone. Otherwise they commonly put 4 houses on one transformer, on the same tap from the transformer.
When I went from a 200a to 400a service they used the same transformer.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,968  
We had two homes on one transformer, now just one. I wanted 400amp service on mine and the PSE "engineer" asked if i was going to do a business at the location, i told him maybe. Then he started hemming and hawing, asked him if the transformer would be different, 'no', wire?, 'no' anything different?, 'no', then why the hesitation?

Was the same "engineer" that said i had to uncover the main feed at the road.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,969  
EV will use anything you give it. I have charged my monster Tesla Model S on 120V at 10A. Apparently you didn't know this parameter is under user control? In-vehicle one can set current to anything up to what the EVSE says is available.

Most all electric dryer hookups are on a 240V 30A circuit which delivers 24A at 100% duty cycle.
Well, you just KILLED the entire idea of ever going electric EV for the wife.

After 3 months using the electric dryer and seeing how bad the bill was, we went out an got a gas one. The electric dryer used more than 55% of our energy use. The electric dryer made the meter spin.

Just thinking of owning a his and hers EV pair will now never happen either. We both work in two opposite directions. Charging would be like running 2 electric dryers each day.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,970  
Well, you just KILLED the entire idea of ever going electric EV for the wife.

After 3 months using the electric dryer and seeing how bad the bill was, we went out an got a gas one. The electric dryer used more than 55% of our energy use. The electric dryer made the meter spin.

Just thinking of owning a his and hers EV pair will now never happen either. We both work in two opposite directions. Charging would be like running 2 electric dryers each day.
I think the sweet spot is viable solar as an offset... at least here in California.