Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #51  
I've used 4wd but every tractor I've ever owned is 2wd and I use them in the swamp in florida. The only time I see a real benefit to 4wd is when you have a loader with a heavy load. Then the rear wheels might spin. For that I piuck up something heavy with the backhoe. Otherwise the front wheels dont have much traction any way. Once I had a tractor with trailer stuck in the mud because all it would do is stand up on the back wheel. 4wd would have been useless in that situation. Had to chain it to another tractor and pull with both to keep the front end down. Surely 4wddoesn't hurt but I don't know if it's as important as having the right size tractor. Just my opinion.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #52  
Having gone to many farm equipment auctions over the past 12 years, I found that 2wd's come cheap, at least in the flatlands of Minnesota. Your hilly country may be different. My nephew has a dairy and beef operation, 16 tractors at last count, 4 with 4wd, 12 have 2wd. His reason is can get HP for much lower cost and most of the time doesn't need 4wd. Would only get a MF150 if it had the ROPS option.
And....he has 4WD tractors for when he does need them. If there can be only one, it should be 4WD....well really front wheel assist, only those big articulated ones are really 4WD, right?

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #53  
I use my tractors for hay and mowing. I shouldn't be doing either one when the fields are wet. If I need a four wheel drive tractor I'm doing the wrong thing and tearing up my property. For what you want to, do the question is are you going to do it in the mud? I'm the same way with my trucks I have two wheel drive pickups. If the fields are so wet that I need 4 wheel drive I shouldn't be driving around in the fields. 4 wheel drive is mostly a macho or security thing. Most people never have their vehicle in four wheel drive. If you're plowing snow maybe. Back when I was an avid bird hunter I always had 4 wheel drive vehicles but I used them in the Bush often off road.
As for the size of the tractor you need, I have a MF 50 and I wouldn't tackle dragging the logs you're suggesting with it. However for the same price you can probably buy a MF65, more horsepower, more weight, equals more stability. Only made in two wheel drive.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #54  
I use my tractors for hay and mowing. I shouldn't be doing either one when the fields are wet. If I need a four wheel drive tractor I'm doing the wrong thing and tearing up my property. For what you want to, do the question is are you going to do it in the mud? I'm the same way with my trucks I have two wheel drive pickups. If the fields are so wet that I need 4 wheel drive I shouldn't be driving around in the fields. 4 wheel drive is mostly a macho or security thing. Most people never have their vehicle in four wheel drive. If you're plowing snow maybe. Back when I was an avid bird hunter I always had 4 wheel drive vehicles but I used them in the Bush often off road.
As for the size of the tractor you need, I have a MF 50 and I wouldn't tackle dragging the logs you're suggesting with it. However for the same price you can probably buy a MF65, more horsepower, more weight, equals more stability. Only made in two wheel drive.
I would argue that advocating using 2WD when you could have the extra security of 4WD is more a machismo thing....'I don't need 4WD like those young whippersnappers.' 4WD has been proven to be safer on slopes. Just because it hasn't killed you yet, does not make it a better idea.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #55  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.

If you are in the woods or have hilly terrain I would go with 4WD. 2WD is really only a flat, field tractor.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #56  
And....he has 4WD tractors for when he does need them. If there can be only one, it should be 4WD....well really front wheel assist, only those big articulated ones are really 4WD, right?
4wheel drive = all the tires/wheels are the same size.

Other than that, they are FWA (front wheel assist) or now days MFWD (mechanical front wheel drive) because the fronts are driven mechanically not hydraulically.

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #57  
The Massey 150 is bigger than the 135 I'm use to, will have ballast in the rear tires, weighs 5-6000. Hopefully it will have loader sometime in the future. Probably 16' logs will be the max, that's all my sawmill can handle. More concerned about stability than anything.I'm looking at what I would call a small to medium size, 35-50 hp. The BX2230 takes care of the small stuff. Just started looking, still deciding.
The MF 150 and 135 are the same basic tractor. The 135 is a utility type tractor and the 150 is a row crop tractor. Both share the same engine, transmission, rear end, hydraulics, and for the most part the same wheel sizes. The 150 was made so people could mount such things as front mounted implements as cultivator. The front axle was able to take more weight. It also had an option for a tricycle front end. The 135 was only available with adjustable or non adjustable wide front ends. The 150 also used the larger tractor steering, had a larger fuel tank, used the larger tractor (165, 175) hood and dash style.
By the way the 175 and 180 are also basically the same tractors except the 180 put the operator on a flat platform, when the 175 is what is referred to as a straddle mount.
I have a 245 with a 232 loader--Yep don't lift much without the old concrete barrel on the three point hitch.
Useless information: The tractor that started production in the 50's the TO35 became the 35 to 135 to 235 to 245 Ok I have lost the continuity but I would think that the design is still being used today. Also note that minor variations do exist as the models changed, not all was just sheet metal changes. Also the 235 had "improved" the steering of the 135 but it was was worse than the 135. The 230 and 245 used a hydrostatic steering.
Hope this helps someone

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #58  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
Think of this: tractors have no front brakes. In 4WD, the braking action on the rear wheels is transmitted to the front wheels also. But with 2WD, you could easily slide down a hill. Heavier tractors are not necessarily more stable. It depends on the center of gravity compared to track width. (An orchard tractor, for example, is far more stable than a row crop tractor, regardless of weight.) Personally, I like my Mahindra 5035HST 4wd. It is not too large to use in the woods. The bare weight is about 5400 lb. With ballasted tires and a FEL with 4-way bucket, and anything on the rear, it is over 10,000 lb. I have been able to pull a 60' long, 20" diameter hickory log up a 15% grade with it. I would also add that an HST drive is much safer to use in the woods. If you start to tip due to a hidden object, just stop pushing on the HST pedal and it will stop. It saved me from being impaled before.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #59  
4wheel drive = all the tires/wheels are the same size.

Other than that, they are FWA (front wheel assist) or now days MFWD (mechanical front wheel drive) because the fronts are driven mechanically not hydraulically.

SR
I disagree that all the wheels need to be the same size to be called 4WD. Are not all 4 wheels driven?

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #60  
The Massey 150 is bigger than the 135 I'm use to, will have ballast in the rear tires, weighs 5-6000. Hopefully it will have loader sometime in the future. Probably 16' logs will be the max, that's all my sawmill can handle. More concerned about stability than anything.I'm looking at what I would call a small to medium size, 35-50 hp. The BX2230 takes care of the small stuff. Just started looking, still deciding.
Adding a FEL in the future is a mistake IMO in the conditions you describe I would rule out 4X2 and got straight to 4X4 and new they are not that much more 10- 30%. 4X2 and a FEL is a big compromise IMO. so in short if you have a need for a FEL you need to get it and 4X4 in the first place IMO.