plain water in tires.

/ plain water in tires. #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
When burying a propane tank ya gotta attach a magnesium or zinc anode to it to prevent it from rusting.
Steel hulled boats get anodes bolted to 'em to prevent rust.

Now I've never inspected a buried tank or the steel hull of a boat, so I'm spitballing here.

But what about attaching an anode to the lug bolts of the tractor tire? Skip the Beet juice or other expensive stuff and use plain water?

/ plain water in tires. #3  
When burying a propane tank ya gotta attach a magnesium or zinc anode to it to prevent it from rusting.
Steel hulled boats get anodes bolted to 'em to prevent rust.

Now I've never inspected a buried tank or the steel hull of a boat, so I'm spitballing here.

But what about attaching an anode to the lug bolts of the tractor tire? Skip the Beet juice or other expensive stuff and use plain water?
We have been using plain water down here in Florida for years, I never really gave it a lot of thought other than our lack of prolonged freezing temperatures, and I have never seen a rusted out tractor rim around here, not saying it hasn't happened , just saying I have never heard of it around here.

/ plain water in tires. #4  
We always used plain water down in Phoenix, AZ.

Zero problems with rust, ever.

/ plain water in tires. #5  
I also think water would work fine with some antifreeze if needed. But that also depends on how much weight you need on the drive tires. Rimguard can be a real mess if you work on the tire yourself. But if you need the weight, Rimguard is weighs about 2.4 pounds per gallon that water. On a tire fill of 50 gallons, the difference would be 120 per tire or 240 for both drive tires with tires locked together. I guess it depends on what is needed. I have been told the beet juice is thick and messy. But have not done anything with it on my own.

/ plain water in tires. #6  
I've been using plain water in my tires for years. Never had a problem. Freeze is not a concern down here.

/ plain water in tires. #7  
FWIW...antifreeze also has anti rust / corrosion properties
...many use windshield washer fluid (less expensive than antifreeze)...

/ plain water in tires.
   / plain water in tires. #10  
Ya could but if your tires burst you could have an EPA problem.

But more to the point of anodes. Why were we not putting them on our steel vehicles?
If it is a stupid simple technology that works then why didn't we use it?
LoL...you mean like when cars leak coolant all over the road at so many wrecks...??

Without doing any research...I'm pretty sure anodes (galvanization) works in the presence electricity...(electrolysis)...