Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA.
My knowlege was picked up from hobby farm neighbors.

I should have probed the statutes myself.

I acknowledge your correction.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #32  
Doesn't happen to just Amish on tractors.
Everyone that has to travel the roads with a tractor gets to see those idiots every day.
yeah….tell me about it. Just replaced a very expensive baler tires from a jackass tool running me off the road.
It’s like a weekly occurrence for me and I’m lucky to still be alive.

Happens to people on bikes & jogging, walking too

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #33  
Happens to people on bikes & jogging, walking too
I've been told by several people both here and in real life that roads are for cars, not walking or bicycles.
That was after I almost got run over while walking back to my truck, by some jackbuck who "needed" to pass a line of cars while I was walking down the side of the road, facing traffic and going the same direction he was.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #34  
I saw the site of this today. It was a coordinates 39.882102, -76.381522, 1200 feet north on Furnace Road from the Otter Creek Picnic Area. The road is steep, the tractor was traveling downhill, and the curve turns sharply to the right as the tractor was traveling. The embankment was steep, and there were many large trees (I don't think things could have tumbled far). It's a place to be careful when driving a car, but not unusually so. But it would be a terrifying spot on a tractor losing control. There are many small white crosses now on the eastern edge of the road there.

I keep thinking about this (and other accidents) as it relates to tractor handling which works so differently from car or truck handling. Cars are so much more capable with inertia and speed. A tractor's impressive ability to get traction in loose plowed dirt at 4 miles per hour is not much good driving down a steep hill on pavement with a trailer loaded with passengers. We have talked about loads pushing a tractor forward, or perhaps lifting the rear (braking) wheels and losing traction depending on how the load is connected. Or it might be that the tractor was using engine breaking, and popped out of gear or the clutch started slipping or perhaps a drive train component broke. It'd be a tough place to suddenly be trying to get enough force with the brakes themselves. Or perhaps the rears lost traction -- to me they don't look designed for smooth pavement.

Stuff like this can be a bit haunting -- and rightly so. It would be so easy to be comfortable and complacent, and then realizing a situation has become unrecoverable before we even knew we were in trouble.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some kind of meter or X ray that could tell us how close we'd been to the edge, every time we had a past close call. I wonder if any of mine were completely unrecognized by me at the time.

It'd almost be a curse, to have a lot of hindsight in a case like this.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #35  
My niece was taken to jail and child protection services called for riding her 4 year old son on a riding lawnmower.!!!
But after reading things like that, it really puts it in perspective..

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #36  
I saw the site of this today. It was a coordinates 39.882102, -76.381522, 1200 feet north on Furnace Road from the Otter Creek Picnic Area. The road is steep, the tractor was traveling downhill, and the curve turns sharply to the right as the tractor was traveling. The embankment was steep, and there were many large trees (I don't think things could have tumbled far). It's a place to be careful when driving a car, but not unusually so. But it would be a terrifying spot on a tractor losing control. There are many small white crosses now on the eastern edge of the road there.

I keep thinking about this (and other accidents) as it relates to tractor handling which works so differently from car or truck handling. Cars are so much more capable with inertia and speed. A tractor's impressive ability to get traction in loose plowed dirt at 4 miles per hour is not much good driving down a steep hill on pavement with a trailer loaded with passengers. We have talked about loads pushing a tractor forward, or perhaps lifting the rear (braking) wheels and losing traction depending on how the load is connected. Or it might be that the tractor was using engine breaking, and popped out of gear or the clutch started slipping or perhaps a drive train component broke. It'd be a tough place to suddenly be trying to get enough force with the brakes themselves. Or perhaps the rears lost traction -- to me they don't look designed for smooth pavement.

Stuff like this can be a bit haunting -- and rightly so. It would be so easy to be comfortable and complacent, and then realizing a situation has become unrecoverable before we even knew we were in trouble.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some kind of meter or X ray that could tell us how close we'd been to the edge, every time we had a past close call. I wonder if any of mine were completely unrecognized by me at the time.

It'd almost be a curse, to have a lot of hindsight in a case like this.
I get your meaning. How many times i can get the chills when i think about what might had happened in so many chances? Too many…

40+ years ago my brother wasn’t lucky. It is just so gripping when you learn about these horrors.

For those that paid, what would they do different if life gave second chances. Sad, sad story when we all wonder - why?

But knowing this horrible event happened now will make me stop and think.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #37  
My niece was taken to jail and child protection services called for riding her 4 year old son on a riding lawnmower.!!!
And hopefully she learned why.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #38  
Maybe this is why CPS was involved and your niece was taken to jail:
, A 2-year-old child died after falling off a lawn mower he was riding on with his dad, officials said. https://bit.ly/3h0E6rY | By WSOC-TV | Facebook ,
. The first link is about a child airlifted after falling off a riding mower. The second link is to a story about a 2 year old child who died after falling off of a riding mower. The third link is about a 6 year old boy who lost his foot in a lawnmower accident. I don't know if it was a riding mower. I typed "child falls off of riding mower" in Google and the first page had over 30 hits to different children being hurt falling off of riding mowers. At least 6 of the articles were about children being killed by falling off of riding mowers. Please, just don't risk children. Cherish children.
Eric

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #39  
Oh for cripes sake, kids have been getting hurt in any and every way imaginable since there have been kids. I hate to see any kid get hurt but this constant whining about the need to bubble wrapping kids and not let them do anything or be around anything that could hurt is just plain ridiculous. All these stories about kids getting hurt damn the flood of information much of it copies of some other incident just reported differently and world wide. Then take the number of incidents by the number of kids and put it in perspective. Hell kids have to be locked into specific car seats for there weight and height at ridiculous costs and then you have busybodies calling 911 if they see someone driving with a kid not in a car seat. CPS being called for ridiculous reasons by nosy busybodies. There is too much asinine government regulation in every aspect of our lives.

My opinion and I'm sticking by it and I am going to unwatch this thread so as not to even see the hand wringing and crying about this statement.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #40  
Oh for cripes sake, kids have been getting hurt in any and every way imaginable since there have been kids. I hate to see any kid get hurt but this constant whining about the need to bubble wrapping kids and not let them do anything or be around anything that could hurt is just plain ridiculous. All these stories about kids getting hurt damn the flood of information much of it copies of some other incident just reported differently and world wide. Then take the number of incidents by the number of kids and put it in perspective. Hell kids have to be locked into specific car seats for there weight and height at ridiculous costs and then you have busybodies calling 911 if they see someone driving with a kid not in a car seat. CPS being called for ridiculous reasons by nosy busybodies. There is too much asinine government regulation in every aspect of our lives.

My opinion and I'm sticking by it and I am going to unwatch this thread so as not to even see the hand wringing and crying about this statement.
And far more kids are injured or killed riding in a car using the appropriate car seat than ever was hurt ridding a tractor or mower. Why not call CPS for the parents that put their kids in those dangerous cars? But I guess if the have the baby on board caution sign it’s all good.