Buying a new truck ? Times have changed.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I am currently shopping for a new Tacoma. Haven’t purchased a new car in 20 years. Geez, times have changed. No trucks to look at on the lot. You can’t sit in one and kick the tires, only look at pictures of them on-line. I talked to a salesman and told him what I wanted. He told they have an allocation of Tacomas coming in and if one of them fits my needs he’ll call me. I asked him if things will go back to the way it used to be and said absolutely not. Dealers don’t have to have millions of inventory on the lot anymore, don’t have to wash the dirt and pollen off 50 new cars on the lot, don’t have to worry about having too many cars on the lot not being sold. He told me “those days are gone forever”. The model I want costs more then my first house !!!! I’m worried I won’t be able to figure out how to use all the gadgets on a new truck too.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #2  
I am right there with you. I would like to know what I'm buying. My newest vehicle in pretty much no frills and an 08. I know that I'm screwing the economy by keeping my older vehicles running!

I'd like to think that your salesman is incorrect about not having inventory ever again. One would assume that at some point there will be a glut and inventory comes back. Maybe it will take a couple years. Lots of $$ gets pushed around and every time that happens there is $$ to be made. But at this point, it's a seller's market.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed.
I’m waiting on a call today from the dealer. The salesman told me they have 16 Tacomas coming in and will know today what is coming. The trucks aren’t here yet but on the way. He told me they are allocated a certain amount per month and don’t get to pick and choose what they are getting in. Today a pastor I know (also a retired mechanic) is coming to get my 1991 Isuzu pickup with 306000 miles on it. I’m donating it to him (starter is out and I’m tired of keeping it running), he fixes cars and gives them to a local womens shelter and drug rehab center. I’ll be selling my 2002 Yukon shortly, it’s mint condition and will ask $8000 for it. I’m worried I’ll have chest pain when writing a check for a new truck, lol.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #4  
I'm in the car business. It will be business as usual again. It may take a couple years but more people are like you than not. It's a big purchase and people want to put their hands on it if they can.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #5  
Of course the manufacturers and dealers love it this way, thy can add expensive options and pricing and the customers have two choices: pay the piper or go pound sand.

I'm 75 and have pretty much only bought new vehicles my entire life. (Last new vehicle was 2006.) That won't happen again, that's for sure! Way too expensive and the prices are driven up by fancy options.

My first car was bought new, a '68 Dodge Dart, base model with the only added option being and AM/M radio. Small engine, stick shift, no a/c. $2168 out the door including tax and license.

Ken

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #6  
Of course the manufacturers and dealers love it this way, thy can add expensive options and pricing and the customers have two choices: pay the piper or go pound sand.

I'm worried about my future in the business because I don't know if I can endure the current inventory shortage. Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about, Ken.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #7  
Sometimes a customer will not take delivery and a unit becomes available.

Co-worker wanted a new Tacoma and put down a deposit and was told it was months out.

Two weeks later I see him with a new one???

Sales person called and said customer with one ordered is getting divorced and it has everything but your cor choice... gray instead of white... he took it.

That said it's hard to wrap around a 50k Tacoma...

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #8  
I'm in the car business. It will be business as usual again. It may take a couple years but more people are like you than not. It's a big purchase and people want to put their hands on it if they can.
I agree 100%. The issue with any new vehicle is the price and finance and with interest rates going up, now is not a good time to buy anything that requires financing. Me, I'm a late model off lease person, always will be.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #9  
I agree 100%. The issue with any new vehicle is the price and finance and with interest rates going up, now is not a good time to buy anything that requires financing. Me, I'm a late model off lease person, always will be.
I've done similar. The only time we didn't was when the jeep decided to leave us stranded 12hrs from home. Dealership had some serious discounts on my wife's Encore. About $9,000 off since they were looking to unload it to make room for the 2021 year models Used vehicles similar size with lots of miles were going for the same price as the encore. So it really was a no brainer.

Bet the dealership would have dumped the incentives if they knew what it was gonna be like getting inventory in 2021

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #10  
As a rule, I prefer not to buy a small pickup truck anyway. I'm a 3/4 to 1 ton person and with cars, because of where we live (Michigan) and the fact that we are a Ford family (not me but everyone else is), I prefer a Ford or a GM built vehicle.