Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
Last year, I made a trap for wild hogs( feral hogs) because they were damaging my orchard and gardens so badly.
This morning , I caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, a total of 8 hogs ever since.
And still so many hogs I can see in the video.
It is happening in northern California.
Unbelievable...

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning
Here is video that I made trap for feral hogs last year.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #3  
They can be a difficult problem. Missouri has prohibited hunting them on conservation land. They have invested in large pen traps to catch all the hogs at one time. They say that those not caught will simply scatter, reproduce and form another group (sounder). It is a slow process and takes a few weeks of watching to see that they get them all.

They are smart and it is a difficult problem. Best Wishes.
From Missouri Dept of Conservation
Local newscast

1659718012080.png

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #4  
You actually get winter in Northern California, right? I would think the hogs would hate that.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #5  
They can be a difficult problem. Missouri has prohibited hunting them on conservation land. They have invested in large pen traps to catch all the hogs at one time. They say that those not caught will simply scatter, reproduce and form another group (sounder). It is a slow process and takes a few weeks of watching to see that they get them all.

They are smart and it is a difficult problem. Best Wishes.
From Missouri Dept of Conservation
Local newscast

View attachment 757136

That little patch made up of parts of Vermont and New Hampshire really is interesting, what an odd and rather large spot.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #6  
That little patch made up of parts of Vermont and New Hampshire really is interesting, what an odd and rather large spot.
That is interesting. And pretty cold up there. It may be because someone has made a hunting rental land for profit and transported them there to start. They are really hard to stop, they expand so quickly. I searched "Can feral hogs live in cold climate. " Came up with feral hogs in Canada. Interesting. Tough mean animal. I found this interresting.

Feral hogs build Pigloos to survive winter

Last edited:
   / Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #7  
are ya achin', for some bacon ?

1659719684656.png

that's pretty bad, almost like a rodent problem

I hope that there is a reasonable and quick solution. Good design on your trap, way to go.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #8  
That is interesting. And pretty cold up there. It may be because someone has made a hunting rental land for profit and transported them there to start. They are really hard to stop, they expand so quickly. I searched "Can feral hogs live in cold climate. " Came up with feral hogs in Canada. Interesting. Tough mean animal. I found this interresting.

Feral hogs build Pigloos to survive winter
I talked to the FWS folks about this many years ago and they investigated a county where there were no hogs in many neighboring counties. They found the hogs had been imported for hunting and had escaped. They are very destructive and can do a lot of damage overnight.

are ya achin', for some bacon ?

View attachment 757139

that's pretty bad, almost like a rodent problem

I hope that there is a reasonable and quick solution. Good design on your trap, way to go.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one. Texas proposed poison that would turn the hog's fat purple so people knew not to eat them. But, then there's all the other critters that would be exposed to the poison and the people said NO! so the NWS folks have not done it. Keep in mind that you have to remove 80% of the hog population each year just to maintain their current numbers. Large traps that catch the entire sounder seem to the the only way to control them.

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #9  
I put out corn and bird seed. Usually, the feeding area is filled with birds during the day and deer at night. The hog below showed up for about a week in June.

Hog-1.jpg

/ Caught 4 small feral hogs at a time, this morning #10  
is hunting with guns effective, or even permitted ? I know that they have been thinking about this problem / solution for years.

they must be destroying crops, fencing etc - uggh

all the best