Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #71  
I am glad you said something... Finally getting around to doing this. I pulled the drain plugs, first water, then milkshake!

Reading some other threads, guys cleaned it out with kerosene through the observation plate. My dad wondered if running regular ATF through it would flush it out before running the correct stuff. In my reading, use the common Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid? Thanks
TSC sells the correct fluid.

Look at / replace the gearshift rubber boot. Even if not real cracked, any rain that hits there, will drop into the trans/hyd oil. Reach in and scrape out the built up gunk on the bottom of the case.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #72  
I am glad you said something... Finally getting around to doing this. I pulled the drain plugs, first water, then milkshake!

Reading some other threads, guys cleaned it out with kerosene through the observation plate. My dad wondered if running regular ATF through it would flush it out before running the correct stuff. In my reading, use the common Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid?
Can't remember how many Ford N's I got to drive around the section(4 miles) with diesel in the transmission and rear end to clear out all the built up gunk. Sometimes they took 2 or 3 runs like that until they cleared up. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?
Can't remember how many Ford N's I got to drive around the section(4 miles) with diesel in the transmission and rear end to clear out all the built up gunk. Sometimes they took 2 or 3 runs like that until they cleared up. Didn't seem to hurt anything.
Did you cut the fluid with diesel fuel or run that straight?

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #74  
We just ran that straight. When I was a kid it seemed like we had one come in to the shop like that once or twice a month at least.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #75  
We just ran that straight. When I was a kid it seemed like we had one come in to the shop like that once or twice a month at least.
Yabut, when I was a kid, diesel was cheaper than gasoline--About 17 cents a gallon. :oops:

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #76  
Yabut, when I was a kid, diesel was cheaper than gasoline--About 17 cents a gallon. :oops:
Yeah, I'm a little younger, cheapest I remember farm diesel bein' was 'bout 95 cents a gallon lol.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #77  
I always used straight diesel to clean them out, fill it and drive it. I just DO NOT run the hydraulic pump more than a few minutes since I do not feel like diesel has sufficient lubrication for the pump. Diesel in a hand pump sprayer to wash down the upper case helps.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #78  
I do not feel like diesel has sufficient lubrication for the pump.
Every diesel I know of has a pump. And they typically last longer than any hydraulic pump. But I guess you could say an injector pump is a hydraulic pump. :unsure:

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #79  
I think most of the guys, even, the ones who said leave it, are glad to see you went and got it. I wouldn't have but I do mechanical work as an absolute necessity, not because I enjoy it.

I finally talked my, then, 74 year old dad into selling his 8n about 8 years ago and buying a little kubota B2200. He had no business climbing around on those monkey bars of a loader and yes at 74 he was using it to bring wood up and drag logs out of a woods. But he bought it, like 22 years earlier, used it for all of those years on a regular basis and sold it for about what he paid for it. He would always say you could buy any part you needed for it at TSC, not sure if that is true or not.

My dad was a very practical, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or "it's good enough to get the job done", type of people. Those two statements embody the 8n tractor.

Have fun with it!

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #80  
Yeah, I don't remember running the PTO any on those drives around the section. They did that in the shop and was told to leave it off.