Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #421  
How silly, just put a lock on it.
And some bean counter will tell us it saves us money somehow!

Agreed on it being silly, just put a normal lock on it with a normal key so when that stupid fob dies we can just throw it away and use the 🔑
They keep trying to reinvent the wheel but they just make it more squared off each time.

Of all the cars that came with a key and a fob that we owned, not 1 fob lasted as long as the car, the batteries died first. Then the fobs themselves stopped working even with new batteries.

My Jeep had a fob alongside the key, the fob is long gone but the key just keeps on working for some strange reason.

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #422  
If I still lived in Pennsylvania the reliability question wouldn't be a problem. But I drive my old Jeep in some of the most remote and forbidding terrain in the lower 48. In the picture below I am a good 2 hours from the nearest pavement. Even further to the nearest habitation. It is not unusual for me to put 200 miles on the Jeep and not see another vehicle. The roads are two-tracks through the desert - no one is going to send a rollback to get me if I break down. It will be totally up to me to get out of there. And of course, there is no cell service.
View attachment 758406
There are just too many reports of the electronics (the start-stop system seems to be a major culprit) disabling a new Jeep for me to consider one. Right now I'm looking seriously at a Toyota 4Runner which has a stellar reputation for reliability.
I am thinking about having mine completely rebuilt rather than buying new.

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #423  
You mean you do not read and memorize the operator manual prior to driving a car?
I'm one to read the owner's manual cover to cover before buying. Well worth the effort to drive a Mercedes-Benz salesman batty. Ask about things such as heated cup holders. "But it is in the owner's manual on page..." then pull the book out and show him.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #424  
How silly, just put a lock on it.
There is a lock on it...

:ROFLMAO:

It’s just in a place that’s not visible or easily accessible, because in all reality, it’ll probably be used once or twice in the entire life of the vehicle.

Just like the gas spout that’s hidden somewhere on vehicles with no gas cap.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #425  
There is a lock on it...

:ROFLMAO:

It’s just in a place that’s not visible or easily accessible, because in all reality, it’ll probably be used once or twice in the entire life of the vehicle.

Just like the gas spout that’s hidden somewhere on vehicles with no gas cap.

Just another piece to fall off and lose.
I like my sons Elantra, it has normal key entry. So old school.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #426  
Just another piece to fall off and lose.
I like my sons Elantra, it has normal key entry. So old school.
What year is his Elantra?

I ask, because a coworker of mine bought an Elantra last year and just a few weeks ago notice there was no lock. I showed him that video I posted, of a 2001 Elantra with the hidden lock. I wonder if they all come like that now, or if it’s just on some trim packages?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #427  
Yes it has one but like that wheel they keep trying to reinvent it surely does not roll smooth with those square edges.

So now what happens when you get hit on the side with that fuel door on and there is no cap underneath to keep fumes, fuel from leaking.

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #428  
If I still lived in Pennsylvania the reliability question wouldn't be a problem. But I drive my old Jeep in some of the most remote and forbidding terrain in the lower 48. In the picture below I am a good 2 hours from the nearest pavement. Even further to the nearest habitation. It is not unusual for me to put 200 miles on the Jeep and not see another vehicle. The roads are two-tracks through the desert - no one is going to send a rollback to get me if I break down. It will be totally up to me to get out of there. And of course, there is no cell service.
View attachment 758406
There are just too many reports of the electronics (the start-stop system seems to be a major culprit) disabling a new Jeep for me to consider one. Right now I'm looking seriously at a Toyota 4Runner which has a stellar reputation for reliability.
Check out the ride quality too...

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #429  
Key fobs are here to stay. I personally like them. In the winter when my late wife and would venture into a cold climate I would go to the doorway of the motel, point the fob at the vehicle sitting outside in the parking lot, start the vehicle and the seats and interior temperature would be nice and warm as we went to breakfast.

In the summer when at the beach the interior would be cool.

If the battery in the fob dies you not only cannot open the doors, you cannot start the vehicle after gaining entry. On the vehicles I (own) you open the center console and a small holding slot is located on the front inside of the console. Slid the fob into this slot and the push button start will then work and start the vehicle.

If the battery is dead and you need to get in the trunk first open the drivers door using the same procedure described for the Hyundai. Then pull the back of the drivers side of the back seat forward and you will find a emergency entry manual handle to pull and open the trunk.

There is even an emergency escape for opening the trunk release built into most passenger cars sold today in case one is accidentally or intentionally locked in the trunk.

Technology is nice. I personally like it since I came from the days of 6 volt systems when you always wondered on cold morning if the thing was going to start. A lot of mornings it would not.

Something else a lot of people probably do not know. In the old days when cars had generators if you had a dead battery you could jump start the vehicle and drive off and the generator would supply sufficient voltage to keep the vehicle running, if you didn’t use the headlights, heater blower motor, radio etc to get you to a service facility and install a new battery.

The new vehicles of today cannot be jump started and drove off if you have a dead battery. So if you receive a low battery warning you better be looking for a service facility instead if wondering what that means.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #430  
Yes it has one but like that wheel they keep trying to reinvent it surely does not roll smooth with those square edges.

So now what happens when you get hit on the side with that fuel door on and there is no cap underneath to keep fumes, fuel from leaking.

Janet
The same check valve that prevented it when you were fueling the vehicle.

Vehicle manufactures went to no gas caps because people were not reinstalling them tight enough to prevent vapors from escaping and would set a service code warning which most people would take to a dealer to get cleared. Now we all know that was done for free.

Last edited: