Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #431  
Key fobs are here to stay. I personally like them. In the winter when my late wife and would venture into a cold climate I would go to the doorway of the motel, point the fob at the vehicle sitting outside in the parking lot, start the vehicle and the seats and interior temperature would be nice and warm as we went to breakfast.
I do that for my Tesla from anywhere in the world I have cellphone or internet using my iPhone. With the added advantage if the car is in a garage I won't kill anyone with exhaust fumes.

If the battery in the fob dies you not only cannot open the doors, you cannot start the vehicle after gaining entry. On the vehicles I (own) you open the center console and a small holding slot is located on the front inside of the console. Slid the fob into this slot and the push button start will then work and start the vehicle.

That is not true of any I have owned. All have a designated place on the outside of the vehicle where a dead key fob can be placed and detected. Even when the Toyota had a mechanical key also too.

And then inside the vehicle there is a place where the fob can be placed to start the car. The Prius had a slot in the dash. One puts the fob in a cupholder for Subaru and Tesla.

Something else a lot of people probably do not know. In the old days when cars had generators if you had a dead battery you could jump start the vehicle and drive off and the generator would supply sufficient voltage to keep the vehicle running, if you didn’t use the headlights, heater blower motor, radio etc to get you to a service facility and install a new battery.

The new vehicles of today cannot be jump started and drove off if you have a dead battery. So if you receive a low battery warning you better be looking for a service facility instead if wondering what that means.

Yes they can be. Most can not be driven without a battery but if the battery works at all once the engine is running and alternator turning most can power the alternator's excited fields from the output of the alternator. The alternator's voltage regulator has to be careful not to turn itself off momentarily before the battery can power the fields on next need.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #432  
The same check valve that prevented it when you were fueling the vehicle.

Vehicle manufactures went to no gas caps because people were not reinstalling them tight enough to prevent vapors from escaping and would set a service code warning which most people would take to a dealer to get cleared. Now we all know that was done for free.
When I got hit in my Hyundai the entire side of the car was torn open. The gas cap and filler tube were however pushed in and still sealed. I won't argue with you as I haven't really looked at one of the new ones without a cap but what I envision is an open to the atmosphere fill pipe after its bent and mangled like mine was.
I do admit that I am not the most mechanical person in the world and definitely not an engineer. But I am just not able to visualize this as being safe in accident situations.

Janet

Last edited:
   / Latest grab by auto manufactures #433  
I do that for my Tesla from anywhere in the world I have cellphone or internet using my iPhone. With the added advantage if the car is in a garage I won't kill anyone with exhaust fumes.

That is not true of any I have owned. All have a designated place on the outside of the vehicle where a dead key fob can be placed and detected. Even when the Toyota had a mechanical key also too.

And then inside the vehicle there is a place where the fob can be placed to start the car. The Prius had a slot in the dash. One puts the fob in a cupholder for Subaru and Tesla.

Yes they can be. Most can not be driven without a battery but if the battery works at all once the engine is running and alternator turning most can power the alternator's excited fields from the output of the alternator. The alternator's voltage regulator has to be careful not to turn itself off momentarily before the battery can power the fields on next need.
GM and Ford offers the same features of unlock or start from anywhere in the World if you pay the monthly user fee. I could unlock, start and stop my vehicles with my Smart Phone until I stopped the annual renewal of On-Star.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #434  

I don't think all can be driven with a low battery. I remember my husband telling someone that jump starting would do them no good because their low voltage sensor would just keep shutting the car down. He offered instead to take them to the auto parts store to get a new battery.
Sorry can't remember the brand car it was but my husband knows a lot of the quirks of different cars. Usually if he tells you this will happen he is right and you best listen.

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #435  
If I ever become so lazy and spoiled that I can't go outside, unlock my door with a key, start my car and let the heater run while I clean the snow off the windshield.
Please someone give me the slap upside my head that my mother would have for being a spoiled brat or call the ambulance because I probably fell over dead!
I simply don't see the need to start my car from anyplace in the world. I would much rather be in it so I can hear it crank and maybe even prevent running a week battery down even lower.

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #436  
When I hot hit in my Hyundai the entire side of the car was torn open. The gas cap and filler tube were however pushed in and still sealed. I won't argue with you as I haven't really looked at one of the new ones without a cap but what I envision is an open to the atmosphere fill pipe after its bent and mangled like mine was.
I do admit that I am not the most mechanical person in the world and definitely not an engineer. But I am just not able to visualize this as being safe in accident situations.

Janet
Only so much engineering can be done to prevent gas from leaking or being spilled when a vehicle is involved in a violent crash.

There is a fire hazard in such crashes. The thing to be concerned and worry about is can I get out of the vehicle if driving and such an incident occurs.

Exhaust pipes which run underneath the vehicle are hot. Catalytic converters are red hot. Gasoline spilled on exhaust systems will start fires.

Automobile glass is tempered glass. I carry a spring loaded device with a built in seat belt cutter in the console that if placed against a window or windshield will break the glass allowing me to crawl out of a vehicle if unable to open the door in emergencies. Seat belt release mechanisms also jam in such violent accident. So if one decides to purchase such a device for their vehicle with the hope, like me that they never have to use it make sure it contains a seat belt cutter also.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #437  
If I ever become so lazy and spoiled that I can't go outside, unlock my door with a key, start my car and let the heater run while I clean the snow off the windshield.
Please someone give me the slap upside my head that my mother would have for being a spoiled brat or call the ambulance because I probably fell over dead!
I simply don't see the need to start my car from anyplace in the world. I would much rather be in it so I can hear it crank and maybe even prevent running a week battery down even lower.

Janet
As we get older we like creature comforts more and more. Another nice feature about modern day automobiles and smart phones is the pairing of the smart phone with the vehicle. Then use the name and address contacts on the cell phone for navigation and making phone calls.

Go to a large shopping center and come out and say, oops where did I park. Take out the smart phone and using the maps apps locate the vehicle in the parking lot.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #438  
As we get older we like creature comforts more and more. Another nice feature about modern day automobiles and smart phones is the pairing of the smart phone with the vehicle. Then use the name and address contacts on the cell phone for navigation and making phone calls.

Go to a large shopping center and come out and say, oops where did I park. Take out the smart phone and using the maps apps locate the vehicle in the parking lot.
First you need to understand, I am no spring Chicken!
My first car didn't have electric windows, air conditioning, delayed wipers, radio, rear window defroster, or any of that. It also didn't have power brakes, power steering, or even a side view mirror on the passenger side. Heck I can't even remember it having seat belts because we never used them and still don't.
So please don't say We and attempt to include me in your lazy and unnecessary needs as I still to this day find no need for this old lady to have all those costly expensive features that a lazy society seems to have been suckered into paying for.

As for me I am not so lazy that I can't put a key in a door and turn it to unlock it. I am not so spoiled and fragile even at my age that I can't sit on a cold seat for a couple minuets to start my car.

So please don't say we and include me in your laziness. After all you speak for you not me or in this case we.

Not a lazy old lady
Janet

By the way, if you can't remember where you parked your car you might have issues even driving it and should consider giving up driving.

Last edited:
   / Latest grab by auto manufactures #439  
First you need to understand, I am no spring Chicken!
My first car didn't have electric windows, air conditioning, delayed wipers, radio, rear window defroster, or any of that. It also didn't have power brakes, power steering, or even a side view mirror on the passenger side. Heck I can't even remember it having seat belts because we never used them and still don't.
So please don't say We and attempt to include me in your lazy and unnecessary needs as I still to this day find no need for this old lady to have all those costly expensive features that a lazy society seems to have been suckered into paying for.

As for me I am not so lazy that I can't put a key in a door and turn it to unlock it. I am not so spoiled and fragile even at my age that I can't sit on a cold seat for a couple minuets to start my car.

So please don't say we and include me in your laziness. After all you speak for you not me or in this case we.

Not a lazy old lady
Janet

By the way, if you can't remember where you parked your car you might have issues even driving it and should consider giving up driving.
:cool:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #440  
Right now I'm looking seriously at a Toyota 4Runner which has a stellar reputation for reliability.
I'm a multiple wrangler owner that bought a new 4runner a few years ago. I won't go into a long rant, but just let's say I've absolutely hated that TuRD since the moment I drove it off the dealer lot. I'd strongly recommend you rent one and take it on a long trip before you buy one. I know a lot of people rave about Toyotas but I really wish I had gotten another jeep.