How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport?

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #1  
Tractor
none
Hi All,

I am using a farmi 501 for skidding some logs. I have tried multiple ways of carrying the chokers on the winch while not in use, but they continue to fall off and get lost. At $50 a pop, I am trying to figure out a way to secure them to the winch, but also keep them easily accessible. I have found myself checking to make sure they are still there when driving the tractor with a grapple full of logs. Taking my eyes off the load and the trail to check the chokers is dangerous and I need to figure something out!

Thanks

Attachments

• 2022-08-16_12-02-32.jpg
    2022-08-16_12-02-32.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 134
   / How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #2  
Maybe something like these notched bars on the side of the frame?

Bruce

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #3  
Chain or cable chokers?

My Uniforest winch has built in boxes which work well for chain chokers but are too small to fit a rolled up cable choker. Maybe you could build a box that fits on the tractor side of the winch, or on the tractor to hold your chokers.

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #5  
I have a 501 too and carry them a number of ways. However they end up or what ever is convenient. I carry 5 chokers. 3 one side 2 the other. Never lost any. Usually I have one or two in a slider and on a hook like so

P1010780.JPG

Or just hanging on the hook and draped in the box.

P1010779.JPG

I also made that hanger out of a piece of angle - drilled some holes and cut slots at a 45. Then bolted it on. In winter the box gets full of ice so the hanger is handy or some times the box is full of other stuff.

P1010782.JPG

gg

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport?
Thanks all. I have been using the box so far but I keep having the chains bounce out of the box when the tractor goes over bumps. I have been hanging the hook end up higher on the winch but then the loose chain end somehow finds its way out of the box and is dangling from the winch.

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #7  
I have a 501 too and carry them a number of ways. However they end up or what ever is convenient. I carry 5 chokers. 3 one side 2 the other. Never lost any. Usually I have one or two in a slider and on a hook like so

View attachment 758532

Or just hanging on the hook and draped in the box.

View attachment 758533

I also made that hanger out of a piece of angle - drilled some holes and cut slots at a 45. Then bolted it on. In winter the box gets full of ice so the hanger is handy or some times the box is full of other stuff.

View attachment 758534

gg
Genius! Simple cuts in angle-iron.

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #8  
I just put the “tail” of the chain in the tray, and hang about a 1’ of the chain and hook off the back, with the chain secured in the slots that are part of the winch’s tray.

Works so far.

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #9  
You guys run your winches without a screen??

That's something I wouldn't do...

SR

/ How to Keep Chokers From Falling Off The Winch During Transport? #10  
Never had a problem with losing chokers. We put a new bottom on the Farmi, it was bent.

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_165253.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165253.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220721_165309.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165309.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68