Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive?

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive? #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
I bought a used Bush Hog 3008 this year to speed up my mowing. It was a well used unit with some hard use. I got what around here was a decent price. I figured I would have to put a little money into it to keep it going. So I have been looking at replacing some components and just can’t believe the price of stuff. Clutch Friction rings, it takes 4, are ~$40 a piece, springs, needs 8, for the clutch are ~$9 each. Stump jumpers are over $500 each, takes 2!

Does anyone buy that stuff? Or just start laying on the welds:)? I thought I would rebuild the rusted out clutch. Not anymore. I Will pull my shear pin pto off my snow blower if I can’t get the clutch serviceable. I guess. Seems like parts are a lot since a complete new 3308 is about $12k….

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive? #3  
When I was redoing a BefCo finish mower a couple of years ago, I found I needed the bolt and washer to mount the blades. The originals had been replaced with garbage that was no longer usable. Turns out they were something odd, some kind of spring cup washer of a unique size and only one or two sources had them .... at around $50/set of 3 bolts and washers. There wasn't anything compatible.

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive?
When I was redoing a BefCo finish mower a couple of years ago, I found I needed the bolt and washer to mount the blades. The originals had been replaced with garbage that was no longer usable. Turns out they were something odd, some kind of spring cup washer of a unique size and only one or two sources had them .... at around $50/set of 3 bolts and washers. There wasn't anything compatible.
My woods mower bolts are $40 a piece and blades are $120! It is just a 60”! For what that mower costs new now, I could buy just bolts, blades and a gearbox…. And would be the same amount!

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive? #5  
I bought a used Bush Hog 3008 this year to speed up my mowing. It was a well used unit with some hard use. I got what around here was a decent price. I figured I would have to put a little money into it to keep it going. So I have been looking at replacing some components and just can’t believe the price of stuff. Clutch Friction rings, it takes 4, are ~$40 a piece, springs, needs 8, for the clutch are ~$9 each. Stump jumpers are over $500 each, takes 2!

Does anyone buy that stuff? Or just start laying on the welds:)? I thought I would rebuild the rusted out clutch. Not anymore. I Will pull my shear pin pto off my snow blower if I can’t get the clutch serviceable. I guess. Seems like parts are a lot since a complete new 3308 is about $12k….
How much is a brand new unit of similar capability?

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive? #6  
Approx $250 to rebuild slip clutch sounds reasonable compared to breaking or twisting something real expensive in your tractor. I know it sucks but look at cost per year of use and it becomes a little more acceptable.

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive?
Approx $250 to rebuild slip clutch sounds reasonable compared to breaking or twisting something real expensive in your tractor. I know it sucks but look at cost per year of use and it becomes a little more acceptable.
Agreed, but there is a lot more things to fail on a pto shaft then a couple disks and springs that could cause a failure. The PTO shaft replacement complete is $2k….

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive? #9  
they got wind of the 5K rebates on EV's and immediately raise the price by 5000.
same with mortgages. As soon as the idiots in DC created a mortgage tax deduction the bankers and realtors started gobbling up all that free money.

/ Why are replacement parts so incredibly expensive? #10  
My woods mower bolts are $40 a piece and blades are $120! It is just a 60”! For what that mower costs new now, I could buy just bolts, blades and a gearbox…. And would be the same amount!
Did you price them at ASC or Shoup?