Paint or Stain on Shed

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I am in the process of finishing my shed build. I am using T1-11 siding on it. I am asking for opinions on stain or paint? Is one better than the other? Right now I am leaning towards staining it. I appreciate any and all advice on which way you would go. Thanks

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #2  
Stain soaks in. Paint stays on the surface and will come off later.

One thing I'd recommend is to either have gutters or make sure the overhangs don't allow water to hit the T1-11 siding over time because it will cause it to rot.

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #3  
After weighing other considerations, it comes down to stain for best appearance for first few years at which point touched up stain doesn't look good.

/ Paint or Stain on Shed
One thing I'd recommend is to either have gutters or make sure the overhangs don't allow water to hit the T1-11 siding over time because it will cause it to rot.
I have 1 foot over hangs on the sides. Going to put a metal roof on. I though that would help as well. I could not find any salt treated T1-11. It could be ordered but was 93 bucks a sheet. I passed.

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #5  
Also watch for water splashing off the ground back up onto the siding. That's not good for your siding over time.

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #6  
I had T-11 on a small shed in Alexandria, Va. For about 10 years. Painted it heavily, twice in about 8 years. The lower parts started to rot. Replaced it with Hardie board (sheets) with a light coat of paint. That was about 1999, 2000. Have not needed to paint any of it since.
/edit - looking at Primed Hardie Panel-Hz 5 0.312-in x 48-in x 96-in Fiber Cement Panel Siding now it's $44 at my local Lowes. Well worth it in my opinion, compared to $42 for a sheet of T1-11.
Just wear breathing protection when cutting it.

Last edited:
   / Paint or Stain on Shed
Replaced it with Hardee board (sheets) with a light coat of paint. That was about 1999, 2000. Have not needed to paint any of it since.
I thought about that Hardy Board. It was 68 bucks a sheet. I almost bought it. I kept going back and forth between that and the T1-11. I have the shed 1 1/2 feet off the ground on peri blocks left over from my house. I hope that helps with preventing rot on the bottom. Thanks for the post. In about 8 years when it is rotting I will go back and get the hardy board. 😁

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #8  
I thought about that Hardy Board. It was 68 bucks a sheet. I almost bought it. I kept going back and forth between that and the T1-11. I have the shed 1 1/2 feet off the ground on peri blocks left over from my house. I hope that helps with preventing rot on the bottom. Thanks for the post. In about 8 years when it is rotting I will go back and get the hardy board. 😁
That's weird, the prices I gave I just looked up at Lowes in Alexandria.

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #9  
I would go with stain. Did so on a shed I build a few years ago and it is holding well, and looks great IMO.
You may want to consider adding gravel/rocks around the area where rain will come off your metal roof. I have found it makes a big difference with splash on the walls.

/ Paint or Stain on Shed #10  
We moved onto this property in 1982. At that time I found a very old five gallon pail of lead based red barn paint. Everything I found and my own knowledge told me - get rid of it. However - after some serious thought - I kept it. I used it on my initial out buildings. It's been 40+ years now and they still look pretty good. Wish I could find another pail of lead based paint.

My house is cedar timber. We constructed it in 1982 also. I've tried quite a few different products. By far - the best has been - - semi translucent oil stain. It soaks in to the cedar and has held up well. I restain every twelve years or so.