Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,582  
Very much true… if the rent isn’t paid out you go…

Eternal care is not universal…

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,583  
For different reasons a lot of old coffins etc are dug up....it's not that all uncommon to find skeletons that have wads of hair grasped in the finger bones...
(so much for wakes...)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,584  
In the USA we take it for granted that a grave site is perpetual.
In other European counties, it is common, these days, to lease the burial site for a few decades, and then have the remains removed to open up an available plot. :)
How American Cemeteries Promise To Keep Your Grave Forever
I just got the bill for my grandparents grave, 150$ for five more years, If I do not pay the grave is reused or at least the headstone is removed.
But at least the first twenty years are free.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,586  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #1,587  
I just got the bill for my grandparents grave, 150$ for five more years, If I do not pay the grave is reused or at least the headstone is removed.
But at least the first twenty years are free.
Who receives the payment? Church?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,589  
In the USA we take it for granted that a grave site is perpetual.
In other European counties, it is common, these days, to lease the burial site for a few decades, and then have the remains removed to open up an available plot. :)
How American Cemeteries Promise To Keep Your Grave Forever
Yeah, we take it for granted. I'm dealing with that now with my family's graves. They're in a large cemetery. There's another cemetery across the road. Both are now owned by the same group.

When you buy a plot, the money is supposed to go into a fund that is invested by the cemetery. The proceeds of the fund are supposed to provide them with enough profit to pay for the upkeep of the cemetery and make them some profit. Unfortunately, cemeteries get bought and sold, along with the investments, and upkeep goes by the wayside as they try to maximize profits.

I've had to deal with stones getting moved around, tire tracks through the graves, perennial flowers mowed down, huge dead tree on the next plot over dropping limbs, entire cemetery not getting mowed for months, chipped gravestone from the mowers, and promises from the management to do something. Nothing happens, you call back and ask to speak to so-and-so, and are told they no longer work there because the cemetery is under new management (it got sold again). You ask why the place isn't mowed; they fired the mowing contractor and a new one doesn't start for a couple weeks.

About the only thing that gets them moving is telling them that you are to the point that you're considering digging up your whole family and moving them to another cemetery and letting all the local TV stations cover the story.

The whole thing is just disheartening.

On the other hand, there's a smaller cemetery near our house that is immaculate. Always mowed. Trash cans emptied. Trees trimmed. Really nicely cared for. What's so hard about it other than doing the right thing?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,590  
My X-Mother in Law was buried in a Masonic cemetery. The plot was already assigned to her, I guess by dues paid in, as she was a high order Mason... as high as women can go, In Eastern Star, I guess. I go there once and a while, cause I still liked the Mother, and it is always kept very nice.

Last edited: