Tell us something we don’t know.

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
I’m 59 years old, I like to think I learn something every day, even if it’s useless. Share something with us we might not know.

I’ve always been a bit of a star gazer but don’t know a lot about them. My daughter got me a telescope for Christmas. I was looking at Venus one night and I thought it was broken, it was half gone. The inner planets, Venus and Mercury have phases just like the moon. You just don’t normally see them unless magnified.

I should add this doesn’t need to be astronomy related, it can be anything.

Last edited:

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Abraham Lincoln and George Washington had Malaria

Chic-fil-A is closed on Sunday

Snobdds

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF gc1710, Cat 305C
I’m 59 years old, I like to think I learn something every day, even if it’s useless. Share something with us we might not know.

I’ve always been a bit of a star gazer but don’t know a lot about them. My daughter got me a telescope for Christmas. I was looking at Venus one night and I thought it was broken, it was half gone. The inner planets, Venus and Mercury have phases just like the moon. You just don’t normally see them unless magnified.

I should add this doesn’t need to be astronomy related, it can be anything.
Astronomy turned out to be my favorite class in college, I took it because I needed a science elective. The universe is fascinating and shows just how insignificant we are on planet earth. It made the little light go off in my head and brought together all the stuff I learned in college. So glad I took it in my final semester of under grad classes.

I was amazed that if light from space travels through a prism, it gives little black lines signifying different types of gasses. These lines never change for each gas. I mean, how did someone discover that? Who just looks into space through a prism and spends enough time doing it to see patterns.

In Wyoming, it's dark with no light pollution. With a little bit of knowledge and a good telescope...Its fun to star gaze.

OP
dodge man

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
I did not know that about Chick-fil-A. I’ve tried to eat there a couple times, we don’t have one in our town, but the lines are stupid long.

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Every human has a blind spot in each eye.
Uhh oh,I know that now but didn't before my retinologist told me. I hope that isn't how you came to know.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
A watch can be used as a compass. If you point the hour hand at the sun, halfway between the hour hand and the 12 is South. Try it.

Well, sort of. It is within 15 degrees or so but I prefer to rely on my compass.

Funny story though... about 10 years ago we were on a timber cruise. We use a hand held GPS to get near a cruise point, then pace and compass the last 100 feet or so. At breakfast that AM I scoffed at a coworker who said that he always carries two compasses.
An hour into the woods my GPS said bearing to plot was east, so I took out my compass and started pacing. Suddenly I realized that the sun was at my back... at around 8:00 in the morning. WTF?
Somehow my compass had reversed it's polarity, so the north arrow was pointing south. I was wearing a snowboarding coat, and most likely had gotten it too close to one of the magnets in the lapel.

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 3040, New Holland 1530, Oliver 1850
Noon is not the high point of the sun.

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
Potato starch molecules are the largest molecules known. They can be so large that it is the only individual molecule that a person can see without magnification.

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Well, sort of. It is within 15 degrees or so but I prefer to rely on my compass.

Funny story though... about 10 years ago we were on a timber cruise. We use a hand held GPS to get near a cruise point, then pace and compass the last 100 feet or so. At breakfast that AM I scoffed at a coworker who said that he always carries two compasses.
An hour into the woods my GPS said bearing to plot was east, so I took out my compass and started pacing. Suddenly I realized that the sun was at my back... at around 8:00 in the morning. WTF?
Somehow my compass had reversed it's polarity, so the north arrow was pointing south. I was wearing a snowboarding coat, and most likely had gotten it too close to one of the magnets in the lapel.
Confusus say:

"Man with two compasses never know which is correct"

Bruce

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Confusus say:

"Man with two compasses never know which is correct"

Bruce
Actually he clarified later, and said he carries two in case he loses one.

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Astronomy turned out to be my favorite class in college, I took it because I needed a science elective. The universe is fascinating and shows just how insignificant we are on planet earth. It made the little light go off in my head and brought together all the stuff I learned in college. So glad I took it in my final semester of under grad classes.

I was amazed that if light from space travels through a prism, it gives little black lines signifying different types of gasses. These lines never change for each gas. I mean, how did someone discover that? Who just looks into space through a prism and spends enough time doing it to see patterns.

In Wyoming, it's dark with no light pollution. With a little bit of knowledge and a good telescope...Its fun to star gaze.

There is a spectrophotometer downstairs . It's a P-E Model 552, UV-VIS NIR instrument.
It's the only one in the neighborhood ;-)

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Only a very small percentage of all the life forms that have existed on earth are alive today.

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
No matter which direction one points a telescope, One always looks BACK in time. Objects and events seen are from a previous moment. And the objects themselves may not even exist at this moment.

tractortroof

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota b2650
Electricity does not travel in wires, it travels in waves outside of them. The actual flow of electrons inside the conductor is very slow.

Quote:

“…, electrical energy does not travel though the wire as sound travels through air but instead always travels in the space outside of the wires. This is because electric energy is composed of electric and magnetic fields which are created by the moving electrons, but which exist in the space surrounding the wires.”

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
The light emitted by a firefly (pale green) is nearly a match to the human photopic light sensitivity response curve..

nbking

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501HST. RTV-X 900.
The human body can contain up to 9 pounds of bacteria.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Electricity does not travel in wires, it travels in waves outside of them. The actual flow of electrons inside the conductor is very slow.

Quote:

“…, electrical energy does not travel though the wire as sound travels through air but instead always travels in the space outside of the wires. This is because electric energy is composed of electric and magnetic fields which are created by the moving electrons, but which exist in the space surrounding the wires.”
No matter which direction one points a telescope, One always looks BACK in time. Objects and events seen are from a previous moment. And the objects themselves may not even exist at this moment.
Good thread, when stuff like this gets posted! 👍

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G
When I worked at a printing company one of the mags we ran was Astronomy. Always found it fascinating but way too much light pollution here to see much.

MikeFarm

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6010C

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100

Astronomy is one of my favorite topics. I really enjoy watching quite a few of the shows on science channel like how the universe works, through the worm hole, the planets and beyond, etc etc.

You are right about how inconsequentially small we are on this tiny planet. And the fact that all the starts in the sky we see are just from our own galaxy. And the fact that there are 100's of billions of other galaxies out there is mind boggling.

But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

And when you think in terms of what is "known" to science.........there is far more that we dont know than we do.

I dont want to dive down the rabbit hole of black holes, dark matter, parallel universes/realities, etc etc. But I will just say it truly is impressive how small we are and how little we actually know

bullbreaker

Elite Member
Tractor
D Ranchers daughter'$
Billy Dixon's 1,538 yard shot ! ..............https://texashillcountry.com/shot-century-billy-dixon-history/

kenmbz

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720/Simplicity Regents/Echo CS-490/CS-620
I am always amazed by quantum physics.
How else can something be in two places at the same time?
And quantum entanglement can happen across large distances!

MikeFarm

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6010C
To the nice person that said a bit earlier....
> But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

Yes it is mind boggling is how small things are but the universe is not infinitely large. It is finite in both spacial and temporal extent :)

Mike

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
Astronomy is one of my favorite topics. I really enjoy watching quite a few of the shows on science channel like how the universe works, through the worm hole, the planets and beyond, etc etc.

You are right about how inconsequentially small we are on this tiny planet. And the fact that all the starts in the sky we see are just from our own galaxy. And the fact that there are 100's of billions of other galaxies out there is mind boggling.

But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

And when you think in terms of what is "known" to science.........there is far more that we dont know than we do.

I dont want to dive down the rabbit hole of black holes, dark matter, parallel universes/realities, etc etc. But I will just say it truly is impressive how small we are and how little we actually know
I truly believe we are a tiny micro spot in space that is completely insignificant to the other tiny micro spots in the universe.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
A comment down in the "What would aliens look like" thread led me down a rabbit hole, reading about Nellie Bly. If you enjoy reading about history, this is a good article. Nellie Bly: Around the World

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I truly believe we are a tiny micro spot in space that is completely insignificant to the other tiny micro spots in the universe.
This book got me thinking as a kid to always look a bit closer at things...

B52195E6-5B2C-4A07-943F-B6E93E19632B.jpeg

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
To the nice person that said a bit earlier....
> But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

Yes it is mind boggling is how small things are but the universe is not infinitely large. It is finite in both spacial and temporal extent :)

Mike
Goes to my earlier point about how little we actually know.

We have no idea whether the universe is finite or infinite

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
To the best of my knowledge , there are 3 ways to tie one of the most useful knots , ( Clove Hitch ) and those can be tied blind folded . So when star gazing it will be dark so practice then if not familiar with that knot .

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Mules are a hybrid and can not reproduce.

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E

Quote:

Mmm…that is true… for AC currents. Not so much DC.

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Facts about 1/60th (sexagesimal systems):

Did you know until the 18th century, 1/60th of a second was called a "tierce" or "third"?

The reason we use angles like 30, 45, 60, 90 degrees, based on circles and globes being 360 degrees,
and why hours and minutes are divided into 60 parts,
and why coordinates are also divided up into 1/60th minutes and seconds.

… is because of the Babylonians. Actually it was passed down to them from the Sumerians who ( 5000 years ago!) had a base60 numeral (counting) system, unlike our base10 digits that we use.

60 is a “superior highly composite number”. It’s divisible by 1,2,3,4,5,6,…10,12,15,20,30,60. Thus having a base60 numbering system makes “dividing” things into 60 parts easier than 10 parts when dealing with fractions and rational numbers.

To think we’re still using the base60 accounting methods of Babylonian merchants to send satellites into space.

Last edited:

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
A watch can be used as a compass. If you point the hour hand at the sun, halfway between the hour hand and the 12 is South. Try it.

That only works in the northern hemisphere. ;)

In the southern hemisphere, you have to point the 12 at the sun. The line halfway between the 12 and the hour hand point north.