Land conservancy decisions

/ Land conservancy decisions #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Budweiser John looking for member opinions/experiences in putting land into a conservation easement.
Background. My wife and I Own 80 acres in southern Clinton County Michigan. We purchased the raw land in the summer of 1971, built a house and over the years have added 5 out buildings and raised two kids to adulthood.
my wife and I are both nearly 80 still active, and have no intent to live anywhere else. Both our kids are college educated, marriEd, and have established successful lives including two grand daughters And have no interest in future living on the homestead.

we have had a couple meetings with the Mid Michigan Land Conservancy and the conservancy board has accepted our property as a potential gift. For those unfamiliar with conservation easements, basically the land owner gives up the right for the property to be developed or sub divided in in perpatrueity in exchange for significant property tax savings and income tax savings in the amount of the market value of the property less the property value with the non development restrictions. The restrictions apply to future buyers and there is no restriction on the sale of the land other than it must remain undeveloped.

needless to say, this is a huge decision and we have not signed on the dotted line. We have two neighbors who have pledged a total of 160 acres to the conservancy and one 80 acre parcel under the conservancy umbrella recently sold with in hours of being listed.

Appreciate any input members might offer.
thanks in advance

B. John

/ Land conservancy decisions #2  
I've owned land with a conservation easement for over 15 years. It hasn't kept me from doing anything I wanted to do with the land -- all of the things it prohibits are things I wouldn't do anyway.

/ Land conservancy decisions #3  
If this property is very valuable, suggest you consult with a competent lawyer.

One question I'd have is to see some actual proof of how much a conservation easement actually reduces property taxes. My concern would be whether the property tax assessor would only give a slight discount if any in reality. It might not get taxed as future development property, but there can still be significant value to be taxed.

The other consideration is whether to go all in and create your own charitable trust which is a discussion to be had with a tax lawyer.

/ Land conservancy decisions #4  
I was approached and one thing I did not like is the property would potentially be open to the public…

It would kind of defeated my quiet enjoyment.

/ Land conservancy decisions #5  
Around here (SE Pennsylvania) a conservation easement generally brings substantial compensation. One neighbor got almost $1,000,000 for conserving 100 acres and still uses it just like he did before. But he can’t subdivide and build any houses.

/ Land conservancy decisions
I was approached and one thing I did not like is the property would potentially be open to the public…

It would kind of defeated my quiet enjoyment.
In Michigan the current owner and future owners do not have to open the protected property to public access.

/ Land conservancy decisions #7  
I don't know. We have 100 acres here in Ottawa county in SW MI. I'd love lower taxes I just don't know much about the issue.

I'm happy we got the school millage knocked off the taxes by having it logged.

/ Land conservancy decisions #8  
In Michigan the current owner and future owners do not have to open the protected property to public access.
Good to know because for me it was a non starter even the compliance inspection clause.

/ Land conservancy decisions #9  
I don't know. We have 100 acres here in Ottawa county in SW MI. I'd love lower taxes I just don't know much about the issue.

I'm happy we got the school millage knocked off the taxes by having it logged.
School can be half the tax bill...

There is a large senior community in one school district I looked into that voted down school taxes...

The work around was to exempt them and measures approved...

Maybe a win/win depending on how you look at it.

/ Land conservancy decisions #10  
We get about $15,000 per acre here nad a significant tax savings