Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.
Late this past spring, early summer... Sweetie put up several 2 liter jars of water glass eggs.. This she learned how to do growing up on the coastal light house on an island.. Depending on weather they only got groceries delivered 3 never more than 4 times a year..

We haven't opened any yet, so will report when we do use them...

Note... I don't know if it makes a difference, but we keep a flock of barn yard chickens.. This as opposed to storing store eggs..
We are not storing store bought eggs - we have a small flock of Golden Comets and they are great producers!

BAKING SODA

Add baking soda to the water for making hard boiled eggs. It changes the pH levels to make the shells come off perfect each and every time.

For those 15 eggs in a pot, 1 teaspoon would work well.

No need to wait weeks. This works on freshly laid eggs that are 2-days or older.
Did it, peeled one egg and it came out perfect. Rolling boil, teaspoon of Baking soda, dropped in eggs (gently), boiled for ten minutes, let sit for ten minutes, into ice water bath for 20 minutes.

THANK YOU,

Last edited:
   / Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #13  
Pickling eggs is a little like brewing your own beer. You can make them taste like anything. :)

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #14  
Did it, peeled one egg and it came out perfect. Rolling boil, teaspoon of Baking soda, dropped in eggs (gently), boiled for ten minutes, let sit for ten minutes, into ice water bath for 20 minutes.

THANK TOU
On a side topic, if you ever boil water for gluten free noodles, do the same thing, add baking soda. :)

UPDATE: Some a tangential Info:

i pickled and canned the last batch that peeled successfully, and still had some brine leftover in the pot, and being lazy, I hadn’t disposed of it yet.

this morning, I made some scratch corned beef hash, and decided to have poached eggs instead of fried. And then I decided “WHY NOT POACH THEM IN THAT POT OF PICKLING BRINE.”

First, they were probably the most perfectly- formed poached eggs I have ever dropped directly from shells - usually I have to put them in small cups and gently slide them into the water. The high vinegar content just sealed them up instantly.

second, they were not horrendously sour - the initial blast of vinegar was about wheat I expected, but mixing them in with the hash actually gave it a wonderful flavor.

so, if you like pickled eggs, and you like poached eggs, consider trying poaching in the hot brine.

just my $0.02

ALRIGHTY THEN - WHO IS READY FOR THE NEXT QUESTION?

The Next Question is:

can you re-use the pickling lime/water solution for another batch of eggs?

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #17  
You might want to check my thread “Copycat pickled sausages”. The brine recipe make great pickled eggs too!

We will see how good these are in about a week!

Pickled Eggs.jpg

Yesterday morning:

Attachments

• FB801A81-9038-48FD-B116-F1E35B43FC48.jpeg
    FB801A81-9038-48FD-B116-F1E35B43FC48.jpeg
    678.1 KB · Views: 68
   / Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #19  
We used to by big jars of jalapenos...and when the peppers were gone, we filled the jug with boiled eggs. Yum, yum!

You might want to check my thread “Copycat pickled sausages”. The brine recipe make great pickled eggs too!
I picked up several packages of “no-name” little weenies and two Hillshire Farms smoked sausage to try your recipe. I did the eggs last week, one more week before I crack them open!