Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #21  
I picked up several packages of “no-name” little weenies and two Hillshire Farms smoked sausage to try your recipe. I did the eggs last week, one more week before I crack them open!
Great! I hope you like them. I just finished off a jar of eggs and smokies, now got to make some more!

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #22  
All this talk about "water glass" really confuses me. Back in the 60's I worked for a company that did repair of large cast iron components including diesel engine heads as well as transmission components etc. We used a liquid called "water glass" as a glue/sealer when installing repairs that had to bond and/or seal against coolant leakage. So my question is whether there is any relation between the two "water glasses"? Anyone have a clue?

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #23  
Maybe they meant water "glazed"?

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #24  
All this talk about "water glass" really confuses me. Back in the 60's I worked for a company that did repair of large cast iron components including diesel engine heads as well as transmission components etc. We used a liquid called "water glass" as a glue/sealer when installing repairs that had to bond and/or seal against coolant leakage. So my question is whether there is any relation between the two "water glasses"? Anyone have a clue?
I had the same confusion, back in the day, water glass was sodium silicate, i think it was. Used like you indicate and also for sealing potable concrete water tanks.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.
That is the stuff used during *****’s “Cash For Clunkers” to permanently ruin perfectly good engines.

in this usage, it refers to either pickling like (hydrated lime) or, less often, isinglass (fish bladder extract).

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #26  

It sounds like the water glass for sealing eggs and sealing mechanical components is the same thing.

And now a batch of eggs with little snausages:

Attachments

• 8438405C-4D94-4470-90CD-49D74B01F879.jpeg
    8438405C-4D94-4470-90CD-49D74B01F879.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 57
You might want to check my thread “Copycat pickled sausages”. The brine recipe make great pickled eggs too!
UPDATE:
i did not open the first batch of eggs from 11 September, but I just cracked the batch I made on 20 September with the eggs and little snausages and I have to say—

HOME - FREAKING -RUN!!!!!!!!!

Too bad MrsKilroyJC does not tolerate spicy food, I need to figure out how to do this with a heat level of -11. . .

I did the following modifications to the recipe:
A) I used a whole head of whole garlic cloves, because I like pickled garlic;
B) I added about a quarter-cup of jar jalapeño slices, because it was the bottom of the jar, taking up room in the fridge and i like pickled jalapeño slices.

THAT RECIPE IS NOW IN MY PERMANENT RECIPE BINDER.

Thank you!!!!!

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #29  
UPDATE:
i did not open the first batch of eggs from 11 September, but I just cracked the batch I made on 20 September with the eggs and little snausages and I have to say—

HOME - FREAKING -RUN!!!!!!!!!

Too bad MrsKilroyJC does not tolerate spicy food, I need to figure out how to do this with a heat level of -11. . .

I did the following modifications to the recipe:
A) I used a whole head of whole garlic cloves, because I like pickled garlic;
B) I added about a quarter-cup of jar jalapeño slices, because it was the bottom of the jar, taking up room in the fridge and i like pickled jalapeño slices.

THAT RECIPE IS NOW IN MY PERMANENT RECIPE BINDER.

Thank you!!!!!
Thanks for the update and I’m glad you liked them! The sausages add a lot of flavor to the eggs. I like to add a bit of liquid smoke to the recipe too.

Thanks for the update and I’m glad you liked them! The sausages add a lot of flavor to the eggs. I like to add a bit of liquid smoke to the recipe too.
The smoky flavor from the sausages definitely makes a difference — I will keep the liquid smoke idea handy for the straight egg jars.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

😁👍