Waste Oil

/ Waste Oil #21  
Tractor Supply takes used oil.

I've not found any place that will take antifreeze, and it doesn't evaporate if I leave it out in a jug. The tractor dealership really does not want to deal with antifreeze either. I've asked them if they'd change it in my tractor. $350 plus materials a few years ago. I've tried an absorbent like sawdust and put it in the trash, but that doesn't work very well.

/ Waste Oil #24  
I take my stuff to recycling location. They have a SINGLE oil collection drum. Probably holds 500 or more gallons.

I will have 30 weight oil for both my tractor and backhoe.
I will ALSO have 0-20 weight SYNTHETIC oil for both cars.

Any issues, from the perspective of the recycling location, to dump the synthetic and diesel oil in their big tank?
Local pickup service for trash and recycle (separate carts of course) will take used oil in sealed one gallon containers left beside the recycle can.

/ Waste Oil #25  
My local tractor dealer used to have a tank out front for used oil. They burned it in their waste oil heater in the shop. I took my old oil there for many years until ignorant folks started dumping anti freeze and other waste products. As a result, the tank was removed last year.

Now it's a pain for me to find a place that will take used oil. Here in PA, it's a state law that any business who sells new oil has to take used in return. It's a joke. In my county anyway, not one business will take it. They look at you like you have two heads when you ask.

Now, I see people dumping it on the ground.
Here in Oklahoma, Autozone stores accept used oil.

/ Waste Oil #26  
I mix up my old antifreeze with water soluble cutting oil and a little pinesol for organism growth, use it in my bandsaw. works as good as using tap water to mix it, biggest reason it doesn't freeze in the winter.

/ Waste Oil #27  
I always pour mine in the fuel tank and it gets burned alright, burned to provide power.

/ Waste Oil #29  
I'm super lucky, because my roadside trash service takes waste oil. I just have to label it clearly and place it next to the trash can. They probably either have a waste oil heater for their shop where they service the trucks, or mix it in with the huge qty of used oil they make.

An automotive industry engineer told me that antifreeze is OK to dump into the municipal sanitary sewer system. Not sure if I believe him, but since my place has a septic tank, it really doesn't apply to me!

Last edited: