Why keep roll over bars down?

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #51  
We find that different manufacturers interpret the regs differently. On average, it seems the Japanese built Mahindra tractors have shorter ROPS relative to similar size Korean built Mahindra tractors. Not sure if that holds true across the board.

We know of a handful of rolled tractors, not including the fatal I mentioned above. On a late model tractor with a loader and ROPS, a side roll often happens when an operator has the bucket loaded and up in the air too high and is on a bit of a side hill and then turns. On the rolls with which I am familiar, they have all gone just 90 degrees. The ROPS and the loader arresting the roll at that point.

Makes sense and is why I'm uber careful on my mostly sloping property. I still haven't taken the tractor on much of it. I'm too ah skeered if it's steep but I'm working up to it gradually. Straight up and down is not much of a problem, some of it requiring 4WD to climb, but that side hill stuff still pegs my pucker factor meter. I always keep the loader low whether it's loaded or not. Lower CG is always better. I wish there were a way to widen the track width but I think spacers would void some warranty. I know wheel spacers aren't good for wheel bearings and axle shafts.

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #52  
Tree limbs! If everyone kept their ROPs on and up there would be more roll overs by tree than what is saved by ROPs ask any commercial mower.... first thing they do is take off their ROPs.

:thumbsup: we lower ours. If you catch a limb it will pick the front right off the ground.

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #53  
Sounds like a great option instead of all or nothing.

My ROPS is 1.5" too tall to fit inside the shop where I keep it unless folded.

Already had one incident where it was dark and late driving into the shop and forgot to fold it.... the ROPS hit the framing and the tractor popped a wheelie never missing a beat... in the blink of an eye it was inside.

Concrete floor and concrete ceiling... my only alternative is to leave it outside... zoning prohibits new accessory buildings.

Keep a tennis ball dangling from a string which has kept me from making the same mistake again.
I did this once too I just got the tractor and thought it should fit then was in a rush to get it inside after washing I it and forgot to measure first and was driving in kinda slow and popped the front wheels off the ground and took me by surprise to say the least so I backed up lowered it and called myself some names lol and pulled it in I think the tractor should be fine everything looks ok it’s a Mahindra emax 20s what do you guys think 🤔

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #54  
ROPS folded down will reduce wind resistance at top speed, allowing you to go about 0.0002 MPH faster when driving into a 40 MPH headwind.

Bruce

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #55  
POPS too high for the door is not a tractor problem, it is a building code problem.

:)

Bruce

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #56  
I keep mine down because of tree limbs. Limbs can, and will, turn the tractor over sideways and flip it backwards. I have had this happen to me more
than once.

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #57  
I keep watching videos and lots of people keep the roll bars down. Is there a reason this is done? Maybe simple question, just trying to learn if I am missing some performance gain. Mine are up and have never thought about lowering them.
Keep mine either in 90 degree position (i.e. straight back) or in 45 degree position. On the Kubota B, the 45 degree position allows it to go underneath my garage door without bashing it and causing $3,000+ damage and to also function as ROPS.

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #58  
I'm still waiting to see, in the marketplace, a hydraulic fold option for the ROPS.

/ Why keep roll over bars down? #60  
I'm still waiting to see, in the marketplace, a hydraulic fold option for the ROPS.
There are gas spring assisted ones. I believe that actually turned into a requirement for the European market in 2018 but don't quote me on that. I just started seeing all 2018+ tractors with the gas spring attached to the ROPS.

29665078_1825621467502156_5950795470085520306_o.jpg