Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats....

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #21  
It was funny listening to all the snowflakes worrying they might melt.

“Nobody gonna touch my thermostat! … even though I signed up for the program and take their money… I want my A/C and I want it now! I should NOT have to suffer inconvenience or experience any discomfort!…(but let me tell you how weak kids are today and want everything easy, but I digress), anyways, Big Brother plot! New World Order control! I don’t care if people like me crash the whole grid.. people on ventilators should have their own back up power! How dare you call me selfish!”

…can you tell I don’t like A/C?

Last edited:
   / Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #22  
I have a smart t-stat that I can control from my phone but the power company cant.

Our power company does use some type of radio controlled switches for water heaters and HVAC that they can turn off in peak times, but its optional and you have to sign up for it. I think they save $2/mo on the bill. Not worth it IMO.

These people signed up for it....so I have no sympathy.

However, most that probably did are too stupid to bypass it or trick the t-stat. Again, no sympathy.
They would think "heck I'll put a light near it" and then use an LED.....

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #23  
I have a smart t-stat that I can control from my phone but the power company cant.
Wanna bet? All they have to do is turn off your electric. They can control small grids at will. Or, in the case of Texas, they just shut down the entire state. Happened here when a record cold hit for over a week. I burned those soufflé lamps to keep from dying.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #24  
Wanna bet? All they have to do is turn off your electric. They can control small grids at will. Or, in the case of Texas, they just shut down the entire state. Happened here when a record cold hit for over a week. I burned those soufflé lamps to keep from dying.

Right, when the people who voluntarily signed up for the program cheat and don’t reduce consumption, power doesn’t magically become available; the next step is turning off everybody’s electricity section by section. For a few that means death… but go ahead and cheat if you think you might melt.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #25  
Right, when the people who voluntarily signed up for the program cheat and don’t reduce consumption, power doesn’t magically become available; the next step is turning off everybody’s electricity section by section. For a few that means death… but go ahead and cheat if you think you might melt.
I'll have to cheat when it's time to charge my tractor and vehicle.
Or, perhaps they can mandate the power grid be upgraded before EV's are mandated.
Then, they wouldn't be placing the cart before the horse

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #26  
I agree you probably shouldn't take the bait, then cheat, when it becomes mandatory, then it becomes your duty to cheat:)

The solution is to build generation and infrastructure that will support your customers. Of course peak demand will be on the hottest/coldest days, not many rocket surgeons required to sort that one out...........

Best,

ed

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #27  
We had something like that back in the early 90s when we lived in Vegas. Not a smart thermostat, just a device the power company installed on your AC. They would turn it off for a while during peak hours. We didn't mind because we had a swamp cooler as backup. As above, it was voluntary and saved us money.
Correct. Good post

The Power Company sends a signal down line using the same technology they use to read your meter every month to signal the installed device to cut power. Most also turn the hot water heater off.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #28  
Correct. Good post

The Power Company sends a signal down line using the same technology they use to read your meter every month to signal the installed device to cut power. Most also turn the hot water heater off.
I only heat cold water.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #29  
It was funny listening to all the snowflakes worrying they might melt.

“Nobody gonna touch my thermostat! … even though I signed up for the program and take their money… I want my A/C and I want it now! I should NOT have to suffer inconvenience or experience any discomfort!…(but let me tell you how weak kids are today and want everything easy, but I digress), anyways, Big Brother plot! New World Order control! I don’t care if people like me crash the whole grid.. people on ventilators should have their own back up power! How dare you call me selfish!”

…can you tell I don’t like A/C?
Move to Arkansas where it was 110° with 80% humidity for a month straight. It will change your view on AC.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #30  
I only heat cold water.
Good joke. I don’t have one of the tankless water heaters so mine is still referred to as a 55 gallon hot water heater.