Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats....

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #51  
Yup.....I do wanna bet. No they can NOT control my thermostat.

I never said anything about shutting off power to the WHOLE house. Of course they can do that one way or another. And since we are talking about totally irrelevant things, ya know the water company can do the same thing to me as well if they so choose.
The water company can turn off your power?

Sorry, couldn't resist🤣

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #52  
Familiar with geo thermal air conditioning systems. Never seen a geo thermal water heating system for a residence. Seems to me to be a very expensive way to obtain hot water for kitchen use, clothes washing and baths etc. A electrical water heater to me would be a more economical way to produce hot water.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #53  
Google "Cold Water Heater" and you get this.

Google "Hot Water Heater" and you get this.

I didn't look through all the items but I missed items listed as "hot water heater". The items I saw were were listed as "water heaters".

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #54  
That's probably true to a certain extent, i'm not an expert on radioactive stuff, but your point about using different fission process has some merit in that it uses some/a lot? of the radioactive products that get created, as fuel. I think back in the day, they called reactors that did that, "breeder" reactors. However the other parts that become radioactive because of neutron bombardment, i.e. the stainless steel support structures, have to be taken into account. Also take issue with your characterization of "returning" the material back into the ground as a bit white washy. I'm not saying that Hanford Nuclear Reservation is a model for storing radioactive materials, but they buried stuff into the ground and it's leaking into the Columbia river. I wish/hope fission produced electric power will be a viable source of electric power, but don't look to my back yard as a place to bury your radioactive material.
That would be a false equivalency. The Hanford site a) is from WWII and b) was a production facility, not a storage site. It is not leaking into the river. 2 tanks are leaking. One will take 25 years to reach groundwater, the other 40:years...if they do nothing. We know a lot more about how to contain waste now than we did 75 years ago.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #55  
That would be a false equivalency. The Hanford site a) is from WWII and b) was a production facility, not a storage site. It is not leaking into the river. 2 tanks are leaking. One will take 25 years to reach groundwater, the other 40:years...if they do nothing. We know a lot more about how to contain waste now than we did 75 years ago.
Or maybe you didn't read my post, i said right in there, "I'm not saying that Hanford Nuclear Reservation is a model for storing radioactive materials" more of a cautionary tail. And ya it is leaking into the river.

Hanford Nuclear Site

What Happened?​

The Hanford Nuclear Site is located in eastern Washington State, and encompasses more than 500 square miles of land. For nearly 30 years, The U.S. Department of Defense and the Department of Energy produced tons of plutonium for use in the atomic weapon program. Activities at Hanford produced significant quantities of waste containing hazardous chemicals and radioactive materials. Some of these contaminants leaked into the land and water, including into the Columbia River.

What Were the Impacts?​

The contamination discharged into the Columbia River is a potential threat to fish and wildlife and their habitat. We are evaluating potential effects to a variety of ecological resources and habitats, including:

• Groundwater and surface water;
  • Sediment, soil, and plants;
  • Fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals;
  • Riparian and aquatic habitats.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #56  
I didn't look through all the items but I missed items listed as "hot water heater". The items I saw were were listed as "water heaters".
Only one. That was Lowes Web Link Connector. Right below that is where Lowes also said you would find this.

"Lowe's® Has Your Next Project Covered. Home To Any Budget, Home To Any Possibility. If You're Feeling Lukewarm About Your Current Hot Water Heater,..."

I also followed the Web Link you provided and expanded out and while reading thru what a Geo Thermal Heat Pump tp my shock and surprise read this.

• "Hot Water Too – This is really a function of system size, but something to consider. If you want your geothermal equipment to heat the water in your hot water tank, you’ll need a larger size – at a higher cost."

Last edited:
   / Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #57  
This is directly from the state of Washington:

"Energy estimates Tank B-109 is leaking about 560 gallons of waste per year, and Tank T-111 is leaking about 300 gallons per year, and it could take 25 or more years for waste from Tank B-109 to reach groundwater, and 70 or more years for Tank T-111 waste."

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #59  
On subject, I'd never have a smart thermostat, bad enough having a 'smart electric meter' that the power company has control of.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #60  
On subject, I'd never have a smart thermostat, bad enough having a 'smart electric meter' that the power company has control of.
I don't know how "smart" our electric meter is. The electric co. can read it remotely, but AFAIK it's only by driving past the house and pinging it. I don't think they have the infrastructure to do anything else.