From mow to snow.

/ From mow to snow. #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I'm done mowing for the year. I love it for a while, but it becomes a chore half way through summer.

Today I converted the BX2680 to a snow warrior.
Dropped the mower, put on the chains, wheel weights, rops, and the plow.

This too will become a chore sooner than later.

20221030_121502.jpg

20221030_154623.jpg
20221030_154759.jpg

/ From mow to snow. #2  
I just went from hoe to snow, LOL Took the backhoe off and did the service, put my winter rims and tires on, but didn't hitch the snow blower yet. Might use the box blade until I get a base froze in.

Now just have to get RTV ready on my next days off.

Hopefully by us doing this it will not snow now! LOL

/ From mow to snow. #3  
I'm still in mowing mode. Snow is rare enough here; you can't even buy snow tools. Just had some rain a few days ago and the grass loves it. I'll probably be mowing Tuesday or Wednesday.

I certainly don't miss the North Coast snow belt. :cool:

/ From mow to snow. #5  
I'm done mowing for the year. I love it for a while, but it becomes a chore half way through summer.

Today I converted the BX2680 to a snow warrior.
Dropped the mower, put on the chains, wheel weights, rops, and the plow.

This too will become a chore sooner than later.

View attachment 768487

View attachment 768484View attachment 768485
I remove/service mowers from all of my tractors once each fall before servicing the tractors and installing FELs.

The B1750 gets a back blade and F & R chains. The B3350 gets a front blade, ballast box and sometimes F & R chains. M9960 and L6060 get FELs only. Cast iron stays on year-around. Fords are hobby tractors these days.

Chains are counterproductive with a good front blade on paved surfaces as traction is much better on cleared paved surfaces without chains.

/ From mow to snow. #6  
Chains are counterproductive with a good front blade on paved surfaces as traction is much better on cleared paved surfaces without chains.
I would say that depends a lot on your individual conditions. Really nice pavement, no packed snow or ice, scraping the pavement completely clean
it could be.
Heavy wet snow, snow that has been driven on, uneven and potholed roads and then start throwing in unpaved roads and hills those chains become very productive and safe.

/ From mow to snow. #7  
I'll mow one more time this week, I finished brush hogging last week. I'll put the winch on and do some logging begore switching over to the snow blower and chains in early Dec. I'm hoping for a late and mild winter. This nice fall weather has allowed me to catch up on my summer chores. I don't know how I ever had time to work full time.....

/ From mow to snow. #8  
I usually leave the mower on for ballast until the first snow and then swap it for the cinder spreader. Dropping the bucket and putting on the FEL plow only takes a couple of minutes.

I can get away with chains on just the front tires. If I loose traction, lifting the plow a bit to add more weight makes the cleated chains dig in better.

IMG_0925a.jpg

/ From mow to snow. #9  
How much damage can, or do, chains cause to an asphalt driveway?

/ From mow to snow. #10  
Oops, sorry didn't notice this thread was posted in the kubota section

That's what I get for always going to new posts.

post deleted

Last edited: