L3200 battery - is it special?

/ L3200 battery - is it special? #1  

SouthernSky

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota L3200DT
I have a 10 year old Kubota L3200 and the battery barely cranks in cold weather. I’m fact, it usually doesn’t start without a jump or fast charge. After 10 years, well, that seems like excellent life for a battery.

I’ve been reading that I should not use an automotive battery as a replacement that matches CCA, but instead should use a deep-cycle farm tractor only battery, one more ruggedly built because of the excessive vibrations tractors go through.

I’ve checked Tractor Supply and all the auto supply stores but not seeing one that matches original specs 40A, 550 CCA, and rugged case and physical dimensions that fit the tray. I’d like to avoid a Kubota dealer but only because I’m guessing a steep price.

Any recommendations?

/ L3200 battery - is it special? #2  
10 years is way past useful life, I change mine out at 5 max. To me, starting batteries are a consumable item and I need my tractors to start with no issues, winter or summer. measure the battery tray, length, width and available height clearance and get the largest battery with the most CCA that will fit with the correct terminal post locations.

/ L3200 battery - is it special?
10 years is way past useful life, I change mine out at 5 max. To me, starting batteries are a consumable item and I need my tractors to start with no issues, winter or summer. measure the battery tray, length, width and available height clearance and get the largest battery with the most CCA that will fit with the correct terminal post locations.

That was pretty much my thinking, just like I buy auto batteries. But the OEM sure did last a long time in the Louisiana heat and annual freeze. I just wondered if there was something about a tractor battery that was different.

/ L3200 battery - is it special? #4  
My original battery last 11 years.
I just took my original battery to Advanced auto and they matched the highest cranking amps they had in that size.
That was 10 years ago and that battery is still going.

/ L3200 battery - is it special? #5  
Any battery that will fit, has the correct terminal configuration, and meets the minimum of CCA will work. If you can get more CCA in a battery that will fit so much the better. More expensive batteries tend to last longer. You may only get a year or two out of the cheapest you can get where a high end battery should easily make five years. A ten year life is exceptional. You have to decide which is best for you. Some of the newer battery technologies are more vibration resistant.

/ L3200 battery - is it special? #6  
On both my old Kubotas and various other stuff (rec, lawn care, marine) I have requiring batteries Ive cut and continue to cut out pieces of rubber to set battery on sometimes I'll install scrap rubber or similar around the hold downs all in an effort to dampen vibrations. I also put 2 ring battery maintainer quick connectors on everything. I can say all my steps have reduced my once continuous yearly replacement of various batteries.

/ L3200 battery - is it special?
I figured as much but wanted additional thoughts so thank you all.

I’ll head to Advanced tomorrow since they’ll also take my oil from my last few changes that I’ve had stored.

Thanks for the idea of the padding under it. I hadn’t thought of that but it makes perfect sense I do that at the same time.

/ L3200 battery - is it special? #9  
AGM batteries are advertised to be vibration resistant and touted for off-road use. They do cost more. I copied this from a google search:

AGM batteries are highly resistant to vibration because the woven fiberglass mats and plates are packed tight—thereby making the batteries immune to vibration. In addition, AGM batteries' glass fiber technology ensures low internal resistance

The original post mentioned cost as a consideration. I've been able to find batteries at Wal Mart of equal or better CCA ratings at sometimes half the cost of a parts store battery at no sacrifice of battery life. You do have to do your own determination of size, etc, but how hard is that?

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / L3200 battery - is it special? #10  
Not an AGM fan. Flooded jars work just fine for me. I'm an Interstate person. :Like I said previously, I consider a battery to be a consumable so it's 5 and out for me. I depend in my units starting reliably winter and summer.