Burn piles

/ Burn piles #11  
I'm very surprised you are able to burn anything at all in California, permit or no.

Most counties in California have an official announced burn season. You need to notify the local fire station in case someone calls it in, so they don't roll to your place. If permits are required they are easy to get, usually on line.

The counties around the SF and LA areas are under more strict air quality regs and that can make burning more difficult as you need to meet their rules.

Other western states have similar burn seasons and in some places (i.e. southern Oregon), some air quality rules.

/ Burn piles #13  
That's making quick work (y) hoping I'll be able burn our 2 piles when only coals remaing cook hotdogs sausages.

/ Burn piles #14  
Waiting for the right weather to light ours

8659DD1A-0D92-4FA7-BD8F-201B48E91579.jpeg2E4BF086-DC26-46AC-9466-3038B5AAE1FA.jpeg

/ Burn piles #16  
I'd like to suggest a way of disposing of brush and downed timber that (A) Reduce or elimintes danger of wildfire (B) alllows doing it on your scedule with less regard for burn bans (C) dramatically improves your soil for years to come. (D) Eliminate need for irrigation of deep rooted plants with as little as 20" annual rain or cut necessary irrigation dramatically for plants requiring alot of moisture. Bury it with soil and let it rot. Using land similar pictured in post 5 here's what I do. Use pictured tractor to pile brush in those small ravines and shallow creases in land. Due to amount of wood on ground in this case it would help to reduce it somewhat. Partially burn brush then cover in soil after small twiggs and limbs have burnt and flame dies enough to drive close with tractor. The partly burned wood is known as biochar,price it anywhere gardening supplies are sold and its value becomes apparent. Variables can change results but you can expect the 3' above grade mound to settle by 50% withing 18-24 months and be 6"-12" above grade withing 5 years. Mounds can be seeded as built then desirable plants,trees and grass after a few months. On a smaller plot I might dig a trench,fill it with brush then cover it with dirt as additional trench is being dug for more brush. I urge you to bury some rotten logs or brush to see for yourself even it it's only 15-20 sq ft area for a flower bed.

/ Burn piles #17  
No permits nor approvals needed here. Just common sense..... I wait until I have a foot of snow on the ground before setting off my burn pile. Wildfires are just all too common in this neck of the woods.
Not much is more fun than burning a brush pile in the snow. I have only had the chance twice. We don't get much snow here. But it was fantastic. Next best is a pouring rain.

/ Burn piles #18  
I burn a large pile every year or two. My current pile is scheduled for this weekend. My area requires a permit, which is cheap and easy to get. The requirements are pretty standard, and I follow them all in case I have a similar scenario with the authorities like @Richard mentions. That was funny!

/ Burn piles #19  
i don't remember posting any pics of a fire with the cat in the frame.

I think that image was from a non-acclaimed movie...(as contrasted with a wildly acclaimed movie) one of those low low lowwwwwwwwww budget films.... you know.... "Attack of the Giant Cat" or "Fluffly, the Giant Mouse Killer"