Tractor Insurance

/ Tractor Insurance #1  

mike paulson

Bronze Member
Hey guys, I have a 7 year old Kubota B Series with a Curtis Can. I know it's covered under my Homeowners ins if Stolen from my property or if I have a garage fire ect. But what about Insurance coverage for an accident such as a tree landing on the cab or hood? It never leaves my property but I was wondering what's available as far as insurance. KTAC doesn't insure tractors that are paid of so I've already tried that

/ Tractor Insurance #2  
Some people get inland marine policies, but those are specifically for transportation of the tractor and may not cover damage caused by nature. Read the fine print on your policy.

Most other policies are business policies since traditionally tractors are used for making a living. In our case, we have an LLC that we use for anything related to our property (except the house and personal vehicles). Even though we will likely never make much, if any, money in our business. It is easier than making a non-profit corporation. A quick internet search found this. Not an endorsement of this brand, just an example of what is out there.

/ Tractor Insurance #3  
The person you need to talk to is your insurance agent. Prepare to dig deep into your pockets they will want all your spare change.

/ Tractor Insurance #4  
"The person you need to talk to is your insurance agent."

Yes...before you need it.

/ Tractor Insurance
Seems to be a real problem. I don't want to start a phony LLC just to get tractor insurance and I've already talked to my ins agent and there's little to nothing available for a small landowner with a tractor. If a tree crushes my garage and my tractor is in it and my 4k cab gets crushed I'm covered by my Homeowners. If it's on my front lawn and a tree comes down on it I'm screwed? Do I pay 700 a year??? After 5 years if nothing happens I'm in over 3k in premiums. I've already had the machine for 8 yrs I think I'll just continue to roll the dice and be careful.

/ Tractor Insurance #7  
Most homeowners policies have a cap on single items. Often it's just $2000 per item, meaning you'd need a rider on that policy to cover most tractors. Don't assume that if your barn burns down, the tractor parked inside is covered at replacement cost (or even trade-in cost), because it likely is not.

A tree falling on your barn is an easier scenario, as it'd have to be one heck of a tree with very unique aim, to cause a total loss of the tractor. In this scenario, you're almost always dealing with repair, not replacement.

/ Tractor Insurance #8  
My tractor and mini excavator both are insured with "personal articles" policies. Priced about the same as a car of like value.

/ Tractor Insurance #9  
Seems to be a real problem. I don't want to start a phony LLC just to get tractor insurance and I've already talked to my ins agent and there's little to nothing available for a small landowner with a tractor. If a tree crushes my garage and my tractor is in it and my 4k cab gets crushed I'm covered by my Homeowners. If it's on my front lawn and a tree comes down on it I'm screwed? Do I pay 700 a year??? After 5 years if nothing happens I'm in over 3k in premiums. I've already had the machine for 8 yrs I think I'll just continue to roll the dice and be careful.
I consider insurance as a ponzi scheme but still necessary. As we are a working farm, all of our equipment is insured, has to be.