Tractor Insurance

/ Tractor Insurance #11  
My tractor and mini excavator both are insured with "personal articles" policies. Priced about the same as a car of like value.

Same here, with State Farm. Covers the "list" I gave to my agent which includes tractors and implements, on or off my property. I had to specifically state I wanted it covered off my property. They wanted a list of items, serial numbers and values (for which I used MSRP). If I recall, the underwriters wanted a copy of the tractor's bill of sale, but none of the implements.

/ Tractor Insurance #12  
My tractor and mini excavator both are insured with "personal articles" policies. Priced about the same as a car of like value.
As riders on the HO policy, or on separate policies? I believe a rider on HO should be (much) cheaper than a vehicular policy.

/ Tractor Insurance #13  
As riders on the HO policy, or on separate policies? I believe a rider on HO should be (much) cheaper than a vehicular policy.

Not the person you were replying to, but my "personal articles" policy is separate from all other policies. $32k of equipment covered, $500 deductible, ~$300/year premium.

/ Tractor Insurance #14  
Most homeowners policies have a cap on single items. Often it's just $2000 per item, meaning you'd need a rider on that policy to cover most tractors. Don't assume that if your barn burns down, the tractor parked inside is covered at replacement cost (or even trade-in cost), because it likely is not.

A tree falling on your barn is an easier scenario, as it'd have to be one heck of a tree with very unique aim, to cause a total loss of the tractor. In this scenario, you're almost always dealing with repair, not replacement.
Some things like tractors, lawn mowers, golf carts etc fall under your home owners policy. You make a claim like you would any other claim. Be forewarned that making a stupid claim will cost you in the long run in terms of higher premiums. If you want to save money have a high deductible.

Sometimes NOT making a claim is more sensible i.e. I won't submit a claim for a $2K repair with a $1K deductible because I know I will get hosed on premiums later over a period of 10-15 years after the initial claim. Make too many claims - expect to get a notice that you are not getting offered a renewal of your policy.

You can specify items you want special coverage for ie. a new expensive tractor. Be prepared to fork out at least $100 per $10K of insured value.

Remember you are betting the insurance company you might have a claim in the future, and the size of your premium reflects the likelihood the insurer might have to pay out. Insurance is in the business to make money so they can have big bonuses and junkets to exotic locations...not to make sure little Johnny has a better life without worries.

/ Tractor Insurance #15  
I have an inland marine policy on my tractor with CNH (or whoever just bought them). It works like a five year put option with annual payments. Call 866-559-6814

/ Tractor Insurance #16  
If you want to save money have a high deductible.
I used to think this too, but both times I priced my HO policy with a high deductible, the savings was under $60/year. Despite me never having a claim, and likely never bothering to place a claim on anything under $10k, I couldn't find much excuse to raise the deductible above the usually-recommended $500-$750.

/ Tractor Insurance #17  
Seems to be a real problem. I don't want to start a phony LLC just to get tractor insurance and I've already talked to my ins agent and there's little to nothing available for a small landowner with a tractor. If a tree crushes my garage and my tractor is in it and my 4k cab gets crushed I'm covered by my Homeowners. If it's on my front lawn and a tree comes down on it I'm screwed? Do I pay 700 a year??? After 5 years if nothing happens I'm in over 3k in premiums. I've already had the machine for 8 yrs I think I'll just continue to roll the dice and be careful.
The LLC is not phony. If you produce anything and sell it or give it away, I HIGHLY recommend discussing this with an attorney. The LLC is a business entity that protects your personal assets from liability.

/ Tractor Insurance #18  
Hey guys, I have a 7 year old Kubota B Series with a Curtis Can. I know it's covered under my Homeowners ins if Stolen from my property or if I have a garage fire ect. But what about Insurance coverage for an accident such as a tree landing on the cab or hood? It never leaves my property but I was wondering what's available as far as insurance. KTAC doesn't insure tractors that are paid of so I've already tried that
According to KTAC website you can by a policy for a paid off tractor

/ Tractor Insurance #20  
IMG_2662.JPG