Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,901  
“Experts estimate that we need to triple the capacity of our electrical vehicle transmission system by 2050.”

Does that mean that they only expect three times as many electric vehicles in 27 years, that is not many. Now electric vehicles are 5.5% of total vehicles, so are they only expecting around 20% by the year 2050?
No.

Actually in many places the grid is fine if everybody bought EVs today. I know that is the case in my area in Kentucky and we live in the boonies. The decrease in electrical use from dairy farms and small business and stuff like that that needed three phase power. Many of those are long gone and out of busineess but in some places as you know like Texas California they make the news lot. But the grid is fine for people getting EVs today in many areas but it's not nationwide.

Half the people living today may be dead in another 30 years so there's going to be a whole mindset change and I'm not sure by 2050 is if we will not have another form of energy or source of electricity that we're not familiar with today.

The grid will not be a roadblock to the future.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,902  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,903  
Glad to see your focusing on the future and not the past.
I never have...the only thing I have ever had against EVs is rechargeable batteries... the title of this thread is moot...no place in the future for EVs with rechargeable batteries...

Unless or until battery technology improves to the point where the range is several K miles...!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,904  
Half the people living today may be dead in another 30 years so there's going to be a whole mindset change and I'm not sure by 2050 is if we will not have another form of energy or source of electricity that we're not familiar with today.

The grid will not be a roadblock to the future.
Maybe, maybe not. What kind of shape will our current infrastructure be in 28 years from now? Lots of public resistance for building new. I would hope that a new, currently unknown method of generating power will come around before then as fossil fuel use declines. I don't see wind or solar being more than just a supplemental source.
I won't likely be here to see it...I'd be 101 in 2050, and no one on either side of my family ever lived that long (though a couple of the women on my mother's side came close).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,905  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,906  
I never have...the only thing I have ever had against EVs is rechargeable batteries... the title of this thread is moot...no place in the future for EVs with rechargeable batteries...

Unless or until battery technology improves to the point where the range is several K miles...!
The range of some EVs now approaches that of ICE vehicles, so that's becoming less and less of an obstacle. I do agree that the "plug it in and recharge batteries" model is more of a transition technology than an endgame...I'm thinking some sort of on-board power source to run things is a more practical approach...something that can be refueled in a few minutes as opposed to several hours. What would power it is anyone's guess at this point...most likely something that hasn't been invented yet.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,907  
The range of some EVs now approaches that of ICE vehicles, so that's becoming less and less of an obstacle. I do agree that the "plug it in and recharge batteries" model is more of a transition technology than an endgame...I'm thinking some sort of on-board power source to run things is a more practical approach...something that can be refueled in a few minutes as opposed to several hours. What would power it is anyone's guess at this point...most likely something that hasn't been invented yet.
To make the comparison between the two you have to factor in charging times...and when you do it's not even close...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,908  
I'll take one It will sure make the commute to and from work much more enjoyable....... Maybe..... 🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠
Can you make love in the back seat of a worm hole?
Don't answer that!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #3,910  
Some people might not be able to afford an EV but art least they will have a charger.

"In 2018, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) approved $22.4 million in funding for PG&E to expand publicly available electric vehicle charging through the Fast Charge program. By 2025, the program anticipates the deployment of 200 DC fast chargers at qualifying customer sites. Under the program, 25% of the DCFCs will be located in disadvantaged communities, and supplemental rebates will be available to qualified program participants."