Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,051  
Lighting was announced as "starting at $40k". But unlike Tesla, Ford did not secure their supply chain. Doesn't have long term contracts for lithium. Doesn't produce their own batteries. Several large price increases have followed.

I was shocked at the sticker price as I went in assuming same price as a gasser (model for model) as thats what I was told. Based on that I was going to go through and order an electric f150,
Now that I see them sitting on the lot I decided against as the extra C$50k +/- gives me alot to put towasrds gas like free gas for life of the truck the way I drive/keep stuff.

hmmmm. guessing I am now going to be one of those guys that will need to be forced through legislation/taxes/or other as math just isn't sitting right anymore.

kinda makes me sad as having an electric I believe is little step into doing whats right and I could have made the range work if it wasn't for the really wonking economics due to such a rise in price over advertised at first.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,053  
Oh come on, am i supposed to read that? Where's the meme?
DE21DAAF-1E1C-49CA-855E-1D96C4F1BA84.gif

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,054  
"Big Oil" does not get any subsidies. That is disinformation in claiming the very same cost-of-business tax deductions every business qualifies for is somehow a subsidy when applied to oil companies.

You do not pay income tax or sales tax on the funds used to buy your tractor because the tractor is necessary for producing income. Is that a "subsidy"?
Ever hear of a "depletion allowance?" That's a tax subsidy, pure and simple. I have a friend with a gold mine who would love to write off the value of the gold removed from the ground as a tax deduction.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,055  
Ever hear of a "depletion allowance?" That's a tax subsidy, pure and simple. I have a friend with a gold mine who would love to write off the value of the gold removed from the ground as a tax deduction.
Not sure if it counts as a subsidy but would we have ever gotten involved in the Middle East if there wasn't oil there?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,056  

November 26, 2022

In fact, across Europe, major wind turbine makers are reporting massive losses and laying off swaths of employees. Just this month, Denmark-based Vestas Wind Systems, the largest maker of wind turbines in the world, reported a third-quarter loss of 147 million euros (about $151 million). General Electric, another major wind turbine producer in the United States and Europe, reports that its renewable energy unit is likely to report a $2 billion loss at the end of the year. Spanish company Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, a Madrid-based company that is a leading producer of offshore wind turbines, reported an annual loss of 940 million euros ($965 million) and has announced spending cuts which will incur 2,900 job losses – approximately 11% of the company’s workforce.

Add to that, the wind just didn't produce as much energy in Europe in 2021 as "experts" predicted.
The big US problem with wind power is the lack of a long distance electrical grid. Texas loves wind because they have a large population and industrial base to absorb the additional power. The PNW actually has too much electricity at times, but there is no way to ship it to Chicago where the coal plants are. Power loss on the two main interties to California are pretty large, but there is no other market in range.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,057  
China has several projects underway, some completed, using ultra high voltage to bring massive quantities of electricity in from distant regions. Maybe this new technology could be of use for the PNW.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,058  
Sticker Shock!!!

I was awaiting being able to buy a Ford Lightening F150 electric pickup.
Was told was going to be same price (model for model) as a gasser.
Finally today I get pricing (albeit Canadian pricing) with a gas jobber in the MSRP sticker price range of $70-80k and similarly equipped Lightening at $123k.

:( there goes my desire to switch today that's for sure.... 50% premium sure not the same to me as price being the same?????

How much fuel can you buy for $33k- $43k difference?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,059  
China has several projects underway, some completed, using ultra high voltage to bring massive quantities of electricity in from distant regions. Maybe this new technology could be of use for the PNW.
I read an article recently where they were working on being able to beam power down from satellites

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,060  
That probably won't work for the folks who wear tin foil hats;)

1670548700516.png