Tools & equipment that are fantastic.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #51  
That's funny, Hay Dude! You have a vintage sidewinder and newer worm drives! I have a vintage worm drive and new sidewinder!

Yeah, I love the worm drive, mine's an original SkillSaw in a metal purpose-built toolbox, I'd guess 1950's vintage. I'd probably like the new ones even better, but I don't use it frequently enough to really justify replacement. When I need to make up a sled for a real accurate cut, or anything a bit out of the ordinary, I go to the worm drive. It has better ergonomics and better means for attaching the foot plate to a ripping sled, etc. The sidewinder is just for quick work.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #52  
I agree. But right now I'm in heat for a Milwaukee mini sawzall. :sneaky:
You already got a big'un? Recip saws are one of those things that, at least the way I use them, there's never one too big. I bought the largest model from Bosch about 15-20 years ago, and it's a beast... exactly what's needed when it's sawzall time.

On oscillating tools, you will find countless time-saving uses for them, after you own one. I bought mine for under-cutting door jambs while re-flooring, as someone else here already posted. But now it also gets used anywhere I need to plunge cut or make a cut in a tight corner. They're incredibly useful for plunging receptacle box holes in wainscoting, etc. They also make great quick mortising tools for timber frame work, albeit not to full depth, they are fantastic for starting the mortise.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #53  
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #54  
You already got a big'un? Recip saws are one of those things that, at least the way I use them, there's never one too big. I bought the largest model from Bosch about 15-20 years ago, and it's a beast... exactly what's needed when it's sawzall time.

On oscillating tools, you will find countless time-saving uses for them, after you own one. I bought mine for under-cutting door jambs while re-flooring, as someone else here already posted. But now it also gets used anywhere I need to plunge cut or make a cut in a tight corner. They're incredibly useful for plunging receptacle box holes in wainscoting, etc. They also make great quick mortising tools for timber frame work, albeit not to full depth, they are fantastic for starting the mortise.
I've got a large cord type Makita Sawzall. Also have a DeWalt cordless.

You've convinced me. Oscillating tool just moved to the top of the list. :)

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #55  
Very good friend of mine has a scrap yard. I was there one day unloading some old road culverts. Being the scrounger I was checking out the "pile" while Jack unloaded me.

I spotted this Drill. Dug it out of the pile and said "how much?" He said you don't even know if it works. I said I'll take the chance. He gave it to me. Only thing I have found wrong with it is the chuck won't close on anything smaller than 1/4". I cleaned it up and made a wall hanger for it so it's easy to find. Next to the Drill Press. I've never used it other than to test it.

20221213_124233.jpg

20221213_124243.jpg

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic.
If you have one you will find many needs for it. Once you use one and see how they work it will just click as to the many things it will do easily for you.
Absolutely! I tried my friend's Makita and bought a Craftsman (all else Dewalt but Craftsman on sale $50). I use it a lot and amazing what it does. Recently replaced kitchen faucet and of course one bolt stripped then remembered I bought carbide blades for it. I had 1/8" gap to work with, but cut bolt in a minute.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #57  
Leatherman Surge with a belt/pocket clip. Use it everyday, several times. More important to me than my phone.

Attachments

• leatherman.jpg
    leatherman.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #58  
Leatherman Surge with a belt/pocket clip. Use it everyday, several times. More important to me than my phone.
I have another brand of them in our saw box, 6x6 (atv) and both our vehicles.

Last edited:
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #59  
I had a few similar drills, passed down from grandfather and great grandfather, both who owned plumbing businesses. One had a toggle (not momentary!) switch, such that if it ever grabbed, you just had to let go and hope it ran out of cord before too much damage was done. :oops:

Dad and I used to use them for drilling concrete, but once affordable hammer drills hit the market, these things just sat. I gave two away at a church auction in the last few years, and kept one for that "maybe someday" scenario that still hasn't happened.

It'll be interesting to see if you find better use for it. I personally find my much smaller and lighter 1/2" Milwaukee hammer drill (corded) is way faster in masonry, and I use a geared down modern 1/2" DeWalt (also corded) for anything else that would have been previously done by one of these old beasts. Not quite the same power, but plenty good enough for me to hang onto, and so much more maneuverable!