LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
I haven't started the MT357 for 5 weeks and went to start it with outside temps around 30 F. Tractor sits inside an unheated pole shed with a trickle charger on the battery. Cranked over fine but had at least 3 failed starts. Then when it did try to run it had a few loud combustion knocks and killed. Next start the same loud knocks and then it kept running. Seemed to be fine after that and restarted normally the rest of the day. I know last winter I didn't run it for at least 3 weeks and didn't experience this issue. No faults occurred during this event. I'll be interested to see if this is a pattern or just an anomaly. Tractor has around 50hrs on it and does have conditioned winter fuel.

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #2  
Do you have glow plugs? Are they getting power? Are they still good?

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month
This model does have glow plugs and there is an indicator light showing that at least a request was made for their use.

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #4  
Neither of my M9's start like it's 70 degrees out when it's at 30. being a diesel engine and compression ignition, cold cylinders will always balk a bit. Fact of life.

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #5  
U could of had a fuel bleed back issue AND some burnt glow plugs.. Either one of those singled out will give u a very slow/hard start.. but together, it would make for A REALLY POOR STARTING ENGINE..
Time to pull out a 10mm socket..(usually the size of the glow plugs)

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #6  
Neither of my M9's start like it's 70 degrees out when it's at 30. being a diesel engine and compression ignition, cold cylinders will always balk a bit. Fact of life.

Especially if the glow plugs aren’t working.
Does white smoke roll out of stack when cranking?

I always wonder about water condensation in the tank settling to the bottom of the tank (or filter) over time. That those few drops that form every day, but one doesn’t notice when starting every day, collect and compile.
..but they may not show up as a hiccup until a few second after starting, maybe..

Also, what is throttle position when you attempt to start?

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #7  
I doubt it was the glow plugs. It does sound like a cold start, but also sounds like too much fuel. You might have had a leaky injector that slowly dripped fuel into the combustion chamber over the weeks. Once you tried to start it, it had to burn that fuel, and the fuel being sprayed by the injectors. Too much fuel and being cold = knocking. Well, until the fuel is burned, then normal operations. Its a good idea to start your machines every few weeks.

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #8  
At 30 degrees mine will start but sometimes it will act sort of like yours did today, but if I plugin the block heater for a half hour or more it will start much better so that’s what I usually do, if it’s below zero I prefer to have it plugged for a few hours before starting.

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month
I doubt it was the glow plugs. It does sound like a cold start, but also sounds like too much fuel. You might have had a leaky injector that slowly dripped fuel into the combustion chamber over the weeks. Once you tried to start it, it had to burn that fuel, and the fuel being sprayed by the injectors. Too much fuel and being cold = knocking. Well, until the fuel is burned, then normal operations. Its a good idea to start your machines every few weeks.
I was thinking in this same direction. I'll let it sit for a week or so and see what happens. I know last winter I let it sit for more than 2 weeks and it started normally even at a colder temp. Between the fuel jelling posts and this type of an issue it makes me glad I kept my 1972 model gasoline fueled 2020. I can let that tractor sit for 6 months-1 year and it starts right up like I just ran it yesterday.

/ LS MT357 starts poorly after sitting for a month #10  
U could of had a fuel bleed back issue AND some burnt glow plugs.. Either one of those singled out will give u a very slow/hard start.. but together, it would make for A REALLY POOR STARTING ENGINE..
Time to pull out a 10mm socket..(usually the size of the glow plugs)
I was under the understanding that at least on my Kubota's, that when starting, the fuel rack was at 100% and then retarded to the pre set throttle position when the rpm increased. I know on a Cat engine, it works that way. Crank speed is everything too. The faster it cranks the more compression heat is built, the easier it starts.