Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,661  
Bull rope is not elastic. Elastic has too many stored energy issues to use in pulling a tree down.
Another thing I have been doing wrong! I have often "Pulled" (put tension on a line to initiate a fall in the desired direction) a tree using a come-along and line. Most of the line is dacron, but I usually include a length of nylon to take advantage of its elasticity. My rationale has been it is better to have (more of) the strain in the line than in the fibers of the tree.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,662  
I wonder if one of those elastic tow straps to an anchor point, maybe tightened with a come-along, could help steer the tree even after it started to fall. Do tree services ever do this? Amateurs? (But not with a vehicle!)
In the mind of this amateur, the purpose of a line in the intended direction of fall is to get the center of gravity over the notch where the supporting (compression) fibers are missing so gravity does the work and the hinge does the guiding. Felling wedges have the same effect, except a line is more likely to prevent a "fall back" (180° from intended) because, if the CG is behind the hinge and the (now tension) fibers from the notch are missing, the line provides some tension. Once a line goes slack, it provides no control. I have used guys or "preventers" rigged at 90° to the intended direction of fall to guide the fall away from an undesired direction.

A very instructive experience was felling my first large dead tree close to a building. I had used a line, notched and backcut without inspecting the notch. Later inspection revealed the heartwood was rotten and the remainder of the hinge was unsound. The hinge failed, tree spun on the stump, and fell 45° from the intended direction. I do not know if the line or Divine Providence "steered" the tree.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,663  
94C02839-39F9-4212-B9DB-59BEA2A96C73.png

Doing about 75 mph…..nobody wanted to be behind him. One little strap holding it on, with the metal bed frame piece sticking up

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,664  
What could possibly go wrong? Why do bad things always happen to good people? LOL

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,665  
We are vacationing in Arizona and travelled from Illinois, it was in either New Mexico or Arizona we saw an almost identical car with a mattress on it like the picture above.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,669  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,670