Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,921  
Want another exercise? Consider a room with perfect thermal isolation. A refrigerator is running inside the room with its door open. Tomorrow will the room be A) hotter, B) colder, or C) the same temperature?

Did I see perfect thermal isolation?
Yes. When stating problems one is allowed to create impossible situations. Especially when it simplifies the solution.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,922  
Interesting

Our state gets more than 50% of it's grid power from hydroelectric.
So in this area my new model Y
( when it arrives) should get the equivalent of ~ 80 MPG gas vehicle.?.

This has me thinking of looking into adding some solar cells, batteries, and grid tied inverter.

Would be great to be less dependent on the grid in general...

So far the only big disadvantage to buying a Tesla versus other EV Makers is the inability of V to G or everything.

Our state also charges electric vehicle owners a fee on each registration and renewal to pay for the lost road maintenance revenue that was provided by the fuel tax. Seems fair to me.
I'd like to add some type of solar to my place and some storage capacity, because we lose power often, but like you said, we're mostly hydroelectric so electric power is relatively cheap.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,924  
Excellent example of Basement Internet Intellectual Wordsmithing. Believing if one chains pretty words together that one creates a new reality. The truth is we are all Muggles and can not create such things with words the way wizards can.

"Burning" is oxidation. The addition of oxygen. The 20 pounds of CO2 consists mostly of air which was originally in the chamber. Except as others have pointed out the combustion will not be complete because the gasoline ran out of oxygen.

"Conservation of Mass. Its the law." You can not create or destroy mass without an atomic event.

Want another exercise? Consider a room with perfect thermal isolation. A refrigerator is running inside the room with its door open. Tomorrow will the room be A) hotter, B) colder, or C) the same temperature?
Hotter of course.
My enclosure, sized so enough air to burn all the gasoline, used for illustration.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,925  
Hotter of course.
If there is perfect insulation, I agree - hotter, because energy (electricity or using a charged battery) has to be added to run the refrigerator and there is extra heat from the compressor as it converts gas to liquid. If the compressor was in another room it would be colder.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,926  
Why did the net cost of my new 2023 Tesla Model Y drop $20,500.00 since a month ago?
Is that with the rebate you will get after you file your taxes in 2024?
13,000 price reduction and 7,500 on 2023 taxes??
What was the "drive out" price and is the insurance cost increased because of value and EV, or just increased value?

Keep giving us an update on what you learned new today on the Tesla, it is very interesting.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,927  
Definitely warmer

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,928  
Are we done with the 1lb gasoline turning into 20 lb of co2 and some water by adding a bunch of o2 to it?
8BE33B54-F11D-4C0F-AB9C-0C22ED1F0205.gif

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,929  
If there is perfect insulation, I agree - hotter, because energy (electricity or using a charged battery) has to be added to run the refrigerator and there is extra heat from the compressor as it converts gas to liquid. If the compressor was in another room it would be colder.
If the compressor was in another room then the first room would not be thermally isolated.