Best Snowplow for Tractor?

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #31  
A few pics of my snow plow setup. It's pretty simple, an 8' Fisher straight blade (pickup truck plow) attached to a Titan SSQA-to-3PH conversion plate. I installed Cat 1 pins in the plows' a-frame where it previously attached to the headgear, then attached the lift chain to the top link attachment point. W.R. Long 3rd Function valve powers the angle cylinders.

To use it I'll leave the loader arms at a set height and use the curl function to raise/lower the blade, being sure to leave slack in the chain when the blade is lowered, allowing it to float independently of the FEL.

Attachments

• 20220204_064144.jpg
    20220204_064144.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 126
  • 20220129_174412.jpg
    20220129_174412.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 110
  • 20220127_112700.jpg
    20220127_112700.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 119
   / Best Snowplow for Tractor? #32  
Walt, same plow but different mount. Used Gordon's "underslung" approach and the factory 3rd function lines on trhe loader turn it.

Attachments

• IMG_4819.JPG
    IMG_4819.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 101
   / Best Snowplow for Tractor? #33  
I use a TMG DB86 (86'') on my FEL. People might not think it's the best solution, but I work it pretty darn well. I use my blade the most since I rarely engage the snowblower (Not enough snow) and we get mostly wet snow anymore. I understand an underslung setup might be superior in saving the danger of bending the FEL.........a plow mounted right on a front 3 point is just superior overall. But they don't appear commonly available in the US.

271077954_10158475562020983_2348743580849733744_n.jpg

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #34  
The two benefits of the underslung mount are:

1. The plow doesn't act like a rudder when angled. The only time it pushes the Kubota sideways is when it hits an immovable pile.

2. It reduces the overall length of the setup by feet.

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #35  

1. The plow doesn't act like a rudder when angled. The only time it pushes the Kubota sideways is when it hits an immovable pile.

3. Floats like a truck plow but you can get down pressure when you want it by dumping the SSQA plate.

P1000307.JPG

P1000299.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Best Snowplow for Tractor? #36  
Walt, same plow but different mount. Used Gordon's "underslung" approach and the factory 3rd function lines on trhe loader turn it.

3. Floats like a truck plow but you can get down pressure when you want it by dumping the SSQA plate.

gg

Wow, I guess I had never seen your setup before, Gordon. I like that a lot, looks like a good solution to every issue I've had with my plow setup, which are:
-Long overall length
-Plow pushes the tractor sideways when winging wet snow
-Lack of down pressure

Thanks for sharing, looks like I have some fabrication to do this offseason because I really like that, well thought out.

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #37  
Wow, I guess I had never seen your setup before, Gordon. I like that a lot, looks like a good solution to every issue I've had with my plow setup, which are:
-Long overall length
-Lack of down pressure

Thanks for sharing, looks like I have some fabrication to do this offseason because I really like that, well thought out.

Thank you Walt - but I can't take credit for the idea. It is just my rendition of the idea
-Long overall length
-Lack of down pressure

Thankyou Walt - but I can't take any credit for the idea. The plow is just my rendition of the idea that I saw posted here on TBN by TractoNH. It is a little more complicated to build though. And while operating it is best to have a way to set/check your plow frame for flatness or level with the road surface from the seat. Like any plow if the plow frame is not flat the corners of the cutting edge will dig in when you angle. I use my bucket level indicator to set the SSQA plate angle and a FEL height indicator stuck on with magnets, Chims genius idea, to set the frame height. I need these because I do a lot of stacking snow and need to be able to get set level again before plowing an other stretch.

P1000298.JPG

P1000302.JPG

gg

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #38  
I have an older tractor and loader with a limited budget. I'm big into DIY for obvious reasons. I modified a box blade to fit my quick tatch modified 47 loader. The back blade offered unexpected benefits that I mostly appreciated after I started using it. In float it is less agressive when it's tipped back on the rear cutting edge and more agressive (on ice and hard packed snow) when tipped forward on the front cutting edge. In a worst case situation I can use the scarifier teeth to tear up the really serious ice buildups (with obvious cautions and limits). Beats the snot out of the buckets and the snow blower I actually quit using in favor of this. It's drawback was the width (5'6 on a tractor that is just over 6') but with chains on the tractor it never really was all that problematic. The teeth are especially effective when the piles need to be moved/pushed somewhere else. I am currently running a JD 444J wheel loader for a landscaping firm, and sometimes I wish had a slightly heavier equivalent on it when I'm moving old piles that are impeding traffic flows.
I designed the conversion mount to be easily removed by pulling the two lower arm pins so if needed I could put it back on the 3 point. I'm looking at finding a wider one at some future time and if my design is as versatle as I think, I can put the larger blade on the frame and not have to refabricate anything.

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
   / Best Snowplow for Tractor? #39  
Welcome to TBN Loaderator. That's a neat idea for all the reasons you mentioned (y)

gg

/ Best Snowplow for Tractor? #40  
A few pics of my snow plow setup. It's pretty simple, an 8' Fisher straight blade (pickup truck plow) attached to a Titan SSQA-to-3PH conversion plate. I installed Cat 1 pins in the plows' a-frame where it previously attached to the headgear, then attached the lift chain to the top link attachment point. W.R. Long 3rd Function valve powers the angle cylinders.
It would seem to me that this could put quite a strain on the loader arms with the plow so far out in front, not to mention difficulty maneuvering in tight places.